Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paper Plates

Mistral404

I remembered Brian talked about using paper plates for practice. Our local pizza joint had a bunch of paper plates out on the counter for people with take out pizzas.

So I took a few extra to try Brian's idea. I used the target stands at our local club and just stapled the plates to my wood. Yep I blasted more than on stick of wood.

This week I tried a new method. Two target stands, two pieces of wood, paper plates, and nylon string, and clothes pins. (Wally World for the plates and pins-cheap)

I ran two strs for upper and lower support. This kept the plates from blowing in the wind. I used the clothes pins to secure the plates to the string. Only two clothes pins got blasted.

It was a challenge to hit the plates at 15+ yards within the time allowed-par time on the clock.

I used to do a lot of practice on steel. I think these plates are going to take over the majority of my practice time for now.

9" economy paper plates from Costco are only a penny a piece, including sales tax - I just bought a case.

What I plan on doing is just taping or stapling the plates onto used IPSC targets or other big pieces of cardboard, and stapling those up on regular target stands. That way the sticks don't get shot up. I'm sure I can line up stands and staple up the cardboard on and between them to get the right spacing for a plate rack, if I really want. Mostly, I want to practice calling my shots on plates w/o relying on hearing the steel ring, and I won't really need 6 in a row exactly X" apart to do that.