Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rifles used in 300m Olympic competition

BigDave

In watching the winter Olympics, I have become curious about Olympic shooting sports, specifically the rifles.

I know most of the small bore rifles used in the biatholon are Anschutz type, for example.  But, does anyone know who makes the rifles that are used for the 300m competition at the summer Olympics.  What loads are allowed (caliber, mm).  Just feeding my own curiosity.

CST's comments mirror what I have heard: there is an international comittee push for "Gun-powder free" olympics; meaning only BB guns will be allowed if they get their way (God knows how one would shoot skeet or trap with air-powered guns). This crap likely has to do with the hassles of brining any sort of firearm to a place like Japan, or someplace with equally repressive gun laws.

On another front, the US Olympic committee is apparently at wits end with some of the shooting sports where the US Never wins medals; i.e. rapid fire pistol. Apparently, the idea behind bringing in the champions of USPSA to try out for the US olympic team was to justify spots on the US Olympic team for most of the shooting sports. Our practical shooters seem set for gold come the summer games; I for one will be looking forward to their performance.  

Brian: did you end up trying out for the team? Who will be representing the US?