Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope caps/cover for millett DMS-1?

rexican

I have a Millett DMS on my 450 bushmaster, but I've gone through about $40 worth of butler creek scope covers. Has anyone found a see-through bikini cover that works or a more robust set of caps? I thought I would see what the multi-gunners have used before I try to build something from scratch.

This doesn't answer your question, but I can't help myself.......... How the hell are they breaking? Are they getting broken off while open? I am curious as I have seen the Butler Creek covers survive RIGOROUS and some would say abusive treatment. I have seen scopes destroyed and the scope covers just moved over to the new scope.

As to bikini covers, they have a place, but I have never seen a see through model that doesn't get dirty and/or damaged with use to the point of being no good in the see-through department.

I am the perfect torture tester. The first broke in the closed position while I was riding around in a jeep. I only had the front on at the time, and I elbowed it at just the right angle as we hit a "bump." I then left my brand new set open when I packed it up at the range... Opened it up at home to find the pieces left over at the bottom of the bag. I have the worst luck with those scope caps: either the red latch will quit working, or I will lend it to my father(who has broken more than I could count).

I hunt with it in south TX, where the fine, silica-like sand permeates everything. I've thought about rigging something fugly out of repurposed lenses and kydex, but I've been ridiculously busy lately and was hoping I could avoid another rabbit hole of a project.

Let me say that you sound qualified to be a co-worker. :devil:

Maybe try a traditional rubber bikini cover that is tied or rubber banded to the scope body. As you flip it off to use, it won't get lost in the shuffle. Rubber banded is good for snug fit, but degrades rather quick in the weather if it gets lots of direct sun.