Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

380 acp nightmare

I have been reloading on my 550 for 4-5 months and so far it has gone very well, I have been relaoding 9m,38 spl and 45 acp with great succes and have been QCing every step to insure good performance and safe loads etc. Now I am trying

to reload some 380 acp and it is a nightmare!!! 2 problems occur.

1. unable to size and decap more then 3-4 cases then the case gets misaligned and ends up ruined/crushed. I have adjusted the shellplate pressure and "clip/pin" at stage 1 to guide and secure case, if I go super slow and push on case with finger as it goes into die it is fine.

2. powder measure is not consistent. I am using Unique and I suspect it just doesn't meter well, going for 3.2 gr of unique using S&S cast 95 gr. lead RN bullets. OAL is .980

* bonus question, I did 9mm with S&S 115 gr cast RN bullets ( oal 1.135)and notice a slight case bulge that was not an issue using berry fmj's which were 115 gr...the cast RN are .356 so what gives there? thank you in advance for any ideas to guide me through the 380 BS, luckily I don't need a lot of 380, its for a buddy's keltec and that gun is not a daily shooter at all.

Had an issue like this before, I loosen the set screw removed shell plate, bolt and star wipe clean wipe a real light coat of oil and but back together bolt, plate, star a bit lower then what I set em at before some times after crushing the cases you can get spilled powder and shading from the brass under the plate. Now that you lowered the the plate you (want it to kinda spring back up some) can lower your sizing die (thinking your using Dillon Dies) some as for thbe bulge in your 9mm does it gauge properly in your barrol or guage? The bulge you might be talking about is that coke a cola shape and that's pefictly fine if that is what you want assuming everything else on your press is set how you want it.. I hope this helps.. Goodluck..

Mark,'thanks

I cleaned the cal conv plate, and then re-adjusted tension. Dillon had a great idea also, I put the case in stage 1 and left sizing lock ring a lil loose set case up into die then tightened it up ( it centered perfectly) and it is cranking now. I found out that unique is not the best metering powder and I am going back to 231 at least for the 380 and mouse gun crap I am loading for my buddies. thank you for your help.

Mark,'thanks

I cleaned the cal conv plate, and then re-adjusted tension. Dillon had a great idea also, I put the case in stage 1 and left sizing lock ring a lil loose set case up into die then tightened it up ( it centered perfectly) and it is cranking now. I found out that unique is not the best metering powder and I am going back to 231 at least for the 380 and mouse gun crap I am loading for my buddies. thank you for your help.

Cool! :cheers: ya, I use power pistol most of the time, it measures well and I use it for 380's,9mm,.40,45ACP,38spl, 357mag And sometimes 44mag.. Fairly inexpensive not the best powder but not the worst... having a station empty can change the seating depth,crimp aswell as throwin a charge you can use a factory load to get an idea to where you want the dies to be set.. Dont forget to pick up a chronograph and more reloading manuals..