Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 Sling usage - Service rifle style

Like not for 3 gun stuff, but service rifle style.

Like the guys in the funny looking jackets, even when it's 90+ degrees...

I was messing around with what I thought might be the way to do it.

I let the front sight tell me when the sling was right.

I got a hickey on my shoulder. ( Not a real hickey, but a mark that looks like a hickey )

Maybe thats why those guys wear those jackets...

Anyway, any info appreciated.

Those guys sure do shoot good, even if they do dress weird.

Travis F.

It is weird until you figure out the secret handshake you do with the rifle. Sling setup is not logical, but simple when understood. A jacket really does help the points where it get really cranked down to not feel like a tournequet is being applied. The basic idea is to get it cinched down on the weak arm like there is no tomorrow and then lever that around the forearm to the handguard with enough tension to pretty much lock it up like a shelf. Then the butt stock gets pulled (I really mean pulled) down into the shoulder pocket and that final bit locks the position in. The amount of tension applied here is enough to really put the bend on anything but a free floated barrel/handguard. The lower and flatter you are in the position (prone), the better.

Try one of the Tubb books available at www.zediker.com

--

Regards,

If you go to the Turner sling websight they have pics and instructions on how to set up a Highpower sling, the sling puts lots of pressure on your hand, thus the glove. Sorry dont have a link just search for Turner rifle slings.

You can do a "loop sling" with a regular web sling, too.

Basically, you make a noose for your arm that will tighten as you put more tension on it.

You put one half turn away from your weak arm on the sling before you put your arm through it, and then your arm will wrap neatly into the sling, with the sling passing from the swivel, under our forward hand, then outside your arm to the loop, which should be between your bicep and deltoid.

Basically, you make it so that your upper arm, lower arm, and the sling form 3 sides of a triangle, and you can relax the arm, and the tension on the sling holds your forearm (and the rifle) up.

When shooting an AR-15, I find that I do better with a higher prone position, as opposed to lower, close to the deck. This way the sling is pulling more perpendicular to my arm (it doesn't slide down at all), and I get a little more eye relief from the rear sight...but conventional wisdom does favor the lower prone position.

During my rifle re-qualification with the USMC last month, I found that going from a hasty sling at 300 yards to a loop sling at 500 required me to add 3 minutes of right windage to compensate for the added sling tension on the barrel.

DogmaDog