Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Masters Pistol Championships

gmantwo

Well, it was another great match at the Masters this year. The weather was 103 degrees on Tuesday, but for the match each day was only in the high 80's, awesome. We had a little rain, but nothing that caused any problems. The prize table was great, again. We had 5 new shooters this year, but several long time competitors were out with health troubles, be good to see them next year. New high lady shooter this year, good job Kaci Cochran! She did an amazing job on the precision event, especially for her first year to shoot the Masters. And, of course, she burned up the Action Event, lol. If she gets a long range gun lined out, she'll be really tough next year. I wonder if there is another lady out there who would like to give Kaci a little pressure next year?? Thought Jessie might come this year, but ended up not making it.

The match is still supported well by Smith & Wesson, Browning, Leupold and Ruger, and many thanks to them. This year there were 9 guns, 4 Leupold Deltapoint sights, a C-More and lots of other prizes available. The Saturday High 16 shootoff winner also took home a Deltapoint for that. Thanks Lee Edwards, for all your work on the prizes.

The Sub Juniors are a hoot to watch. Seeing those boys shoot .22 pistols at 75 and 100 meters and knock those long range plates down is loads of fun. Thanks PASA for providing the lighter plates for this event, they worked very well. It isn't easy to hit a 6" plate at 100 meters with a .22 pistol, but these boys do it regularly. What we need is a Sub Junior girl, to give the guys a run. Doug's son Trevor shot an amazing time on the action event. He seems to be a chip off the block as far as shooting goes, but with Doug as coach, that's understandable. The Sub Juniors entry money is paid back 100%, so it's a good investment in shootings future.

After the main match is all done, many people gather at the Precision event range and spend time knocking down plates with their kids, each others guns and generally having a good time winding down. Saw one wife learning about the event and seeing how hard it is first hand. And getting a little "one on one" coaching. Will there be another new lady on the shooting line next year?? That would be wonderful, along with getting other women/wives involved in actually shooting the match.

This is a great match, in every way. The shooting is as tough as you'll find anywhere, in 26 years there has NEVER been a perfect score shot on ANY of the events. How many matches are that tough? Especially considering the level of shooters, Super Squad types, who have competed over the years. The match has pretty much always hinged on the Precision Event. The super shooters can all speed shoot steel, and they've mostly all shot scoped guns enough to do well on the Long Range. But the Precision Event, shot with a simple .22 pistol, has always been the area where they've had the most trouble. Everyone has had the most trouble there I would say. 45 plates shot at 25 and 50 meters, sounds simple doesn't it? The winner this year shot 37. Last year it was 35(Doug Koenig, of course, both years). THAT'S what makes a great match. The Bianchi Cup is a great match too, but there are so many perfect scores shot there, it's almost a boring ending. Not that perfection is easy, it's not, but it gets to be kind of monotonous.

Entry fees are very reasonable, the PASA range is fantastic, the atmosphere is great, especially for families, and the shooting is terrific. What more could you ask for in a shooting competition? Come out and give it a try. If you have any questions about gear, what's needed or anything else, post here or PM me, I'd be happy to help get more new shooters involved in the greatest shooting tournament held anywhere on the planet.

Well said Greg, My wife, daughter and I have been out for so long now it's like a reunion more than a match. I keep trying to get my wife to shoot it again, but no way-she hates the Long Range stuff. I'm also trying to get guys who shot it years ago to come back out, but they say they don't have the guns anymore, or it's too hard. I tell them they can borrow a gun, and just keep the expectations low like we do. And if you talk to anybody before the match, they'll all tell you they haven't had time to pick up a gun, let alone practise. So if anybody is curious abut the match or wants to shoot it, get hold of Larry or Lee, or one of us. We'll help as much as we can. I'd like to see the numbers start climbing again, too.

Yea, that would be great. I'd gladly offer my guns to help out anyone interested in getting in, or back in. A certain well known shooter who attends every year, and who shall remain nameless, thinks the precision event is simply too diffacult for most shooters to put the time and effort into. And some of them simply don't want to come knowing that they'd get beaten, and maybe by a nobody, like me, lol.

Your wife was a big help and your daughter is simply a sweetheart, thanks for their help. Hope to see you every year. My wife had flown to Norfolk to welcome our daughter-in-law's ship(USS Bainbridge) back from a 7 month deployment or she would have been there too. I hope my older son will be able to attend and compete with us next year as well. It really is a great, family atmosphere at the range and I hope it continues for many years. :cheers:

It was a great match again this year. As others have mentioned, the long time shooters are like family and the new shooters are welcomed as family.. I stayed around after the awards on Saturday to help clean up. It was interesting to see that Doug was shooting Precision and Action. Apparently, you can never get too much practice. The first week in August is already reserved for the Masters on my calendar for next year.