Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range report on 700 SPS Tactical

Alaskapopo

Well you guys are going to laugh at this but I bought a new rifle because I had a free scope from Burris (Full Field II 6.5-20x)that I was not using. I also had a .308 reloading set up with brass, primers etc but no gun. So I saw this Remington 700 SPS in the Black Dog gun shop in Soldotna with a 20 inch barrel. It was love at first sight.

Remington700.jpg

My long range plan for this rifle is to upgrade the scope to a Nightforce 3.5-15 NSX later, then get a good stock that takes M14 mags preferably, then down the road have a smith true the action and replace the barrel. (Not till its shot out) (Any advice on which scope options, stock and smith is appreciated)

I used an EGW mount with a 20 moa cant to it and some 30 mm rings a buddy gave me and some spacers from Larue to allow you to use a 1 inch scope in 30 mm rings. I got the scope mounted and then I loaded 50 rounds with the following loads.

1. 42 grains of RE15 (Sierra manual accuracy load)

2. 42 grains of H335

3. 42 grains of Varget (friends load he recommended)

4. 42 grains of N140 ( I have a lot of this powder on hand)

When I got to the range I started the zero process at 25 yards. I did not bother to bore sight. I just put up a blank cardboard USPSA target with a 2.5 inch post it note in the middle of it. 3 shots later it was centered at 25. Then I moved to 100 yards and 6 shots later it was zeroed at that range. The first load I zeroed with was the H335 load. I had to bottom the scope adjustment out and this load was still shooting .635 above the point of aim. I plan to upgrade the scope around tax return time so I can live with the POA difference for now. After grouping the H335 load I was starting to get disappointed as the groups were nothing to write home about (average of 1.02) but things got better.

The RE15 load was next and it averaged .81. Not bad but I wanted better

The Varget load averaged .734 better and I could have lived with this but then I got really happy.

The N140 load proved to be the best of the bunch with an average of .55 for 5 5shot groups fired. Below are photos of the targets I shot with the chrono data attached as well. I plan to experiment by moving up and down from 42 grains of N140 to see if it can get even better.

H335.jpg

RE15Load.jpg

Vargetload.jpg

N140load.jpg

Ballisticsilvertips.jpg

It was a great relaxing day at the range. It started out a little rainy but ended up with the sun showing through.

Here is something to think about. I recently started shooting the same basic rifle. One thing I found is that my cold bore shot is different than subsequent shots. In fact, my groups tighten up a bit after I have put a few rounds downrange. This can effect your evaluation of powder.

As to your loads, you don't mention the bullet you are using. RE15, N140, and Varget are all almost identical burn rates, but they do behave differently. Also H335 is significantly faster so may work better with lighter bullets better than heavier ones.

Don't discount the Burris scope too quickly. It's actually a pretty good choice for that rifle until you start getting into some real distance.

If you want a really good source of info on Rem 700's and loads, etc; try the Sniper Central forum. There are a lot of experienced people there with the same basic rifle who routinely shoot 600yds+

Here is something to think about. I recently started shooting the same basic rifle. One thing I found is that my cold bore shot is different than subsequent shots. In fact, my groups tighten up a bit after I have put a few rounds downrange. This can effect your evaluation of powder.

As to your loads, you don't mention the bullet you are using. RE15, N140, and Varget are all almost identical burn rates, but they do behave differently. Also H335 is significantly faster so may work better with lighter bullets better than heavier ones.

Don't discount the Burris scope too quickly. It's actually a pretty good choice for that rifle until you start getting into some real distance.

If you want a really good source of info on Rem 700's and loads, etc; try the Sniper Central forum. There are a lot of experienced people there with the same basic rifle who routinely shoot 600yds+

Thanks Gram. I am using 168 grain Sierra SMK's.

Pat

I am using 168 grain Sierra SMK's.

That bullet is quite popular but (as I understand it) that popularity largely comes from it's extensive use by Federal as a mid-range bullet for military and law enforcement round. It also had just about the highest BC you could find outside of specialty bullets like the VLDs. Notice I said had...

In the precision rifle arena today, there a number of better choices. Palma shooters are using a Sierra 155gr bullet specifically made for that competition with a much better BC and Hornady recently released a 178gr bullet with a BC that could become the new king.

I started out using a 155gr Nosler CC bullet with a BC no better than the 168 but running at a higher velocity and was able to shoot out to 600yds with a good deal less drop then guys shooting the Federal Match 168's.

I am using 168 grain Sierra SMK's.

That bullet is quite popular but (as I understand it) that popularity largely comes from it's extensive use by Federal as a mid-range bullet for military and law enforcement round. It also had just about the highest BC you could find outside of specialty bullets like the VLDs. Notice I said had...

In the precision rifle arena today, there a number of better choices. Palma shooters are using a Sierra 155gr bullet specifically made for that competition with a much better BC and Hornady recently released a 178gr bullet with a BC that could become the new king.

I started out using a 155gr Nosler CC bullet with a BC no better than the 168 but running at a higher velocity and was able to shoot out to 600yds with a good deal less drop then guys shooting the Federal Match 168's.

Thanks I will try some of those bullets. I also got some 168 grain Amax bullets to load as well. What do you think of this stock. I think for now I am going to keep using this scope and I am considering this stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=190699

I've shot that same rifle for the last year and a half and had around 3,000 rounds through it before I recently sold it off.

It will love the 175 Sierra Match Kings, 44 grains of Varget, and a Match grade primer. Velocity was 2535FPS.

Mine shot many a group in the .4's and .5's. It shot sub moa out to 500 repeatedly, including some sub half MOA groups at 300 and 400...never shot groups beyond 500. I took it all the way out to 1100 yards.

Upgrades.

1.) THe biggest problem with that rifle is the stock. It feels great and I really like it but it is too flexible. To fix this do two things.

A.) Take dremel and sand down the barrel channel nearest the muzzle so it doesn't flex and touch the barrel when you place it on a bipod.

B.) The rifle will still want to twist when you rest your cheek on the stock so I took a 3/8 inch piece of threaded rod and heated it with a blowtorch then sunk it into the plastic ribs in the forend. I also then filled the forend with fiberglass bondo to stiffen it more. This solved 95% of the problem with the stock and I ran mine like this for thousands of rounds.

If you decide to do a stock replacement I dont know of any that succesfully use the M14 mags. All the major bottom metal manufacturers use AICS style mags. The bad news is none of them will drop into the rifle...they all require some fitting.

The 168's work fine until they go sub-sonic. Then they seem to go unstable and start tumbling. The 168SMK is notorious for this. Not sure about the AMAX.

You can find the 175SMK's military surplus "pulled" bullets on gunbroker for 150 bucks per 1,000. I shot lots of those and never had a problem.

I dont know how soon you are wanting to upgrade your scope but I just went and upgraded mine and was gonna sell the one I currently use. Its a bushnell elite 4200, First focal plane, with mildot reticle and 1/10 mil adjustments. Its been great but I got a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket!

Edited by rrflyer

What do you think of this stock.

I'm not a huge fan of the Choate stocks. If you want a reasonably priced drop-in stock, have a look at Bell and Carlson.

I have the Light Tactical, but if you are shooting off the bench or a pack a lot, you may prefer a more vertical grip. Both of these stocks will take a drop in mag kit from Wyatts.

If you want to move up the food chain, then look at HS stocks. The Wyatts will fit them with some work, but there are better mag choices from Badger or AICS.

If you really want something special, look at the Manners stocks with the bedded Badger mag.

Edited by Graham Smith