Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird 930 malfunction issue

bkoenig

I couldn't figure out why my 930 was getting progressively worse about stovepiping spent hulls. When I first got it it ran well, then it started stovepiping more often on light loads, and this weekend it even started doing it on high brass heavy hunting loads. I thought the gas port might be blocked so I tore it down and found the mag tube covered in rust under the handguard. :angry2:

What had happened was I had accidentally scratched up the exterior of the mag tube at one time. There was a shallow gouge in the exterior wall, but no dents protruding to the inside so I just took some emory cloth and smoothed out the burs so as to prevent it from hanging up the gas system. I oiled it well and always meant to refinish it but never got around to it. I guess the humidity and my general laziness caught up with me. I'm usually really good about gun maintenance but for some reason I hadn't taken the shotgun apart in several months.

The surface was so rough that it had to have really been hanging up the gas system and preventing the bolt from cycling fast enough. I'll take it out this weekend to test it out but hopefully that's all it was. Time to go grab some cold blue from the store....

I had something similar happened, but it was me dinging the mag tube when I dropped it... I never had a problem with it rusting... If you call mossberg, they will send you a new one for (if my memory serves) under 20$...

I had something similar happened, but it was me dinging the mag tube when I dropped it... I never had a problem with it rusting... If you call mossberg, they will send you a new one for (if my memory serves) under 20$...

I think it will be fine with some cold blue. I just broke out the emory cloth again and polished it up.

I think it will be fine with some cold blue. I just broke out the emory cloth again and polished it up.

The mag tube can still rust with cold blue. Keep it lubed with BreakFree CLP for better protection.

I've taken some pretty serious rust off 1100 mag tubes (requiring ScotchBrite pads or even wire brush wheels) and ended up with the gun functioning just fine.