Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

(DEATH) grip on the stock

RoGrrr

From the time I started shooting handguns I gripped the gun as hard as I could. Shooting a 45, it tends to rise and I thought that it should not rise much so I attempted to keep the muzzle rise as minimal as I could, hence - death grip. Years ago, from trap and skeet shooting, I learned to flinch and it still bothers me when I shoot a pistol. Naturally, I'd like to get over that flinch.

Reading various boards, I began to get the idea that with as little as I shoot and with the ZERO training I've had, maybe I'm wrong in my approach to holding the gun. Lately I've started softening my grip and wrist, to allow the muzzle to rise a bit more, thus transmitting less of a high impulse recoil into my arm. I'm not sure if it will improve my scores, not that I'm shooting bullseye scoring targets but it seems to feel a bit better.

Naturally, I'll have to shoot more but I'd like to get some idea if I'm on the right track.

BTW, I shoot a couple 1911's, one 9mm and the other 45.

I see that there are a few clubs that do IPSC and IDPA here in central Ohio but I'm wondering if there are shooting coaches as there are in other sports. Having competed in some other sports I've learned that there is a difference between a coach and a "REAL" coach. I don't want to waste any time and $$$$ on some fly by night who has simply hung out a shingle so he can steal ignorant people's money.

Go to matches, find the best shooters there, and pick their brains.

That's a great way to get started..

As far as grip tension goes, amount of pressure is debatable..

For me I like to grip the gun as hard as I cam with out loosing the ability to pull the trigger clean..

As far as coaching goes if you start shooting enough matches everyone around you will become a coach.

I've learned much just from hanging out with great shooters. You just need to have an open mind, and be willing to try everyone's advice out and see what works for you.

Good luck,

Los

I have found that I grip the gun as tightly as I possibly can without affecting the control of my trigger finger. You don't want to grip so tightly that you cause tension in your trigger finger, but you do need grip the gun like you mean it. You don't want the gun to float with no resistance.