Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Neck sizing--are periodic full re-sizes needed?

Hi,

I've been reloading my fire-formed, neck re-sized .223 for my new Tikka...with good results. I'm on load #6, and things look good, so I'm pressing forward.

I have not experienced any stiff feeds, or trouble getting the bolt closed, or difficult extractions to date.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that despite this, cases that are only neck-sized need periodic full-sizing. I think the reason was to prevent all the issues listed above. As mentioned, I don't have those issues...yet.

Is this true? Should I rotate in a periodic full-resize--like every 5th re-load?

I guess I don't understand why you would want to undo all that 'custom chamber fitting' granted by fire forming and neck sizing?

Thanks for any helpful insights!

Edited by Cproflow

Your fine. I don't know what die you are using to neck size but sometimes just a slight shoulder bump is all that is needed. to keep from getting tight. You are probably shooting moderate rounds and you may never have to full length size. Just watch your case length and carry on... A little locking lug pressure is a good thing but if it gets too much just bump the shoulder back again. Keep good grease on your bolt lugs so sticking is the case, for sure.

Your fine. I don't know what die you are using to neck size but sometimes just a slight shoulder bump is all that is needed. to keep from getting tight. You are probably shooting moderate rounds and you may never have to full length size. Just watch your case length and carry on... A little locking lug pressure is a good thing but if it gets too much just bump the shoulder back again. Keep good grease on your bolt lugs so sticking is the case, for sure.

I agree. As long as you are firing the rounds from the same gun, full length resizing is rarely necessary.