Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady bullet feeder first impressions

Got mine this week. During transport a nut got loose so I could not set it up but the problem was easy to fix not the least because Hornady replied to my mail within 45 min. Calling would have solved it even faster but thats not really an option out of Europe. From this time and also the past I can only say the best about their customer service and would like to honerably mention Bob who I can only say the best about.

Anyway, setup was very easy even for me lol. I just played around a little bid and it already works most of the time. Every once in a while the bullet get loose when indexing under the seater die but I am sure with playing around a little bid more with the expanding die and the seating die will eliminate this issue 99,9% of the time. I guess if loading larger calibers (I am doing 9mm) the issue would even be less.

Not much bad to say about it to be honest. It is very very loud tough. So I guess I will be using my ear protector when loading or not having it run all the time which of course would reduce speed as the tube will have to fill up again when empty. I am loading in a small room and the noise is deafening or maybe I am just to noise sensible.

It is however, a never change system in my eyes. Which is not bad for me as I only load 1 caliber and even if I ever go into a second one I would rather buy a new press than change it around.

Anyway, if you change caliber I would recomment a dedicated die for each caliber. Dont know if you have to change the seating of the die when loading a different bullet shape in the same caliber. If yes than a dedicted die for each bullet shape too.

What you have to do anyway is the ajust the 2 fenders for each bullet shape. Then change the tube and the feeder part of the tube. Depending on the shape of the bullet you also have to ajust the central plate. Hornady even recommends to change the position of the screws that mount the whole thing depending on the bullet shape.

So the system is great if you stay with a caliber and a bullet shape. OK if you change it and then load stock that will last you through the year before changing again. If you want to change back and forth it will take some time.

As for speed I can say that it greatly increases it. Dont want to say a number here as I have not loaded enough yet but I would say it increases speed significantly and makes loading more relaxed

The noise is quite obnoxious, and I am going to do a couple of things to reduce it. One - a lid on the container. A round lid with a 1" layer of foam inside will drop noise noticeably.

Second - running the motor full time is... OK, let me be frank - stupid idea. So I am putting High and Low switches on the tube, so the feeder would only cycle between them.

The noise is quite obnoxious, and I am going to do a couple of things to reduce it. One - a lid on the container. A round lid with a 1" layer of foam inside will drop noise noticeably.

Second - running the motor full time is... OK, let me be frank - stupid idea. So I am putting High and Low switches on the tube, so the feeder would only cycle between them.

an idea like with the foam I had myself already. The other idea is even better but not practicable for me lol Too stupid when it comes to things like that lol