Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

85 Combat shooting super low!

stringcheese

I have a CZ 85 Combat. The pistol has a CZ customs hammer and lightened main spring, a polished ramp, and I reversed the mag release. I am shooting a fairly hot load taken from the Sierra reloading book.

I shoot mixed brass, CCI primers, Berry's 124g HBFP bullets, with 4.8g 231 powder. The gun shot dead on with 4.5 grains 231. I do not have a chronograph and between my Lyman Book and my Sierra Book I took the load that would make at least a 130+ PF for this bullet. It ended up being the 4.8g of 231 straight out of the sierra book. Lymans put max load at 4.5g and 1050 fps. Sierra put 1050 fps at 4.8g, so I shoot the 4.8.

I couldn't figure out why at a higher velocity the bullet shot lower. My Father said to me that the reason it shot lower was because the bullet was leaving the barrel before the muzzle had a chance to rise. The pistol did shoot dead on bulls at 25yds before the extra 3g of powder with the rear sight in the factory position. The rear sight is now fully raised to the maximum height and is still shooting low. Is my Old man correct? Does the faster bullet really exit the barrel so fast that it drastically changes the point of impact?

Rounds going at higher velocities tend to shoot lower in pistols and revolvers. The round doesn't stay in the barrel as long during recoil and leaves the barrel before the recoil pushes the muzzle upwards. For example, a 115gr 9m will shoot lower than a 147 gr 9mm at the same power factor. I don't know if this is what's happening in with your Berry's bullets, but it might be a place to start.

Rounds going at higher velocities tend to shoot lower in pistols and revolvers. The round doesn't stay in the barrel as long during recoil and leaves the barrel before the recoil pushes the muzzle upwards. For example, a 115gr 9m will shoot lower than a 147 gr 9mm at the same power factor. I don't know if this is what's happening in with your Berry's bullets, but it might be a place to start.

That's what my dad said. I just needed to hear it from someone else. Thanks.