Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

experienced my first AD

hkguy

I recently became a SO for our local IDPA group. What a decision, i definitely view the sport in a new light. But, i also just experienced my first AD on El Presidente. On the buzzer, the shooter turned, drew his weapon and touched off a round about 10 feet in to the ground in front of me. Scared the Sh!t out of me. We had to DQ him but he was very understanding. Luckily he had made his turn and drew his .45 safely. Just a friendly reminder to keep your booger hooker off the bang switch until your on target.

Edited by hkguy

AD's are noooo fun. I just started shooting competitively this year and luckily I was at my dads practice range and after a reaload on my push out the gun went bang.. Thing is I didn't want it to.. My heart was going a mile a minute and was soooo angry with myself. Taught me at practice luckily that speed shouldn't mean sacrificing a little bit of safety. Since then I have been doing a lot of dri fire practice at 50% on making sure the booger picker is well outside until I am ready for it to go in.

First of all, competitors DQ themselves, you just inform them that it happened.

But - while you could DQ him for unsafe gunhandling, if you really felt the need I guess - the actual rule states a "premature shot" "into the ground downrange closer to the firing line than 2 yards" is unsafe gunhandling.... S1.F (of course that list of unsafe gunhandling examples is "but not limited to")

You could make the case that his shot was not unsafe or a DQ, if it hit the ground 10 feet downrange (more than 2 yards). But of course I was not there.

Edited by sfinney

First of all, competitors DQ themselves, you just inform them that it happened.

But - while you could DQ him for unsafe gunhandling, if you really felt the need I guess - the actual rule states a "premature shot" "into the ground downrange closer to the firing line than 2 yards" is unsafe gunhandling.... S1.F (of course that list of unsafe gunhandling examples is "but not limited to")

You could make the case that his shot was not unsafe or a DQ, if it hit the ground 10 feet downrange (more than 2 yards). But of course I was not there.

EDIT: was not my call, i was SOing with the assistant match director. the shot landed very near the 10ft rule. needless to say the shooter took it as a learning experience and stayed the rest to the day to soak up more.