Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't find my files on Harddrive, HELP!

GlockSpeed31

Computer is running Windows XP

My power supply went out on the desktop, pulled my hard drive and hooked it up to another computer using a SATA/IDE to USB Adapter (almost like using an external enclosure for a hard drive). My problem is that I can not find any of my pictures, music files or video's on it now. I tried using the search tool and it finds all of those type of files but only from programs loaded on it, not from any files I created. They were located in "My Documents". Nothing has been deleted from the hard drive that I can notice, the disk space is the same as it was when the computer worked.

Any ideas??

Second question: Can I take that hard drive and swap it out with another hard drive that is in another computer as the primary hard drive? Both systems are running XP, but are different computer companies (HP / Dell). Any issues that may come up?

Thanks

Edited by GlockSpeed31

If you put the primary hard drive from one computer into another, it may or may not boot. Problem is, the operating system has a number of drivers specific to the old computer. This is significantly less of a problem than it used to be but you might have to do a safe boot and install different video drivers to match your new computer.

As to finding your files, you may be looking in the wrong place due to the wonderfulness of the Windows directory structure. There are document directories for the user (you) plus all users plus shared documents plus a few more places. It can be hard to find things sometimes if you don't know where they are, which is why MS makes such a big deal about indexing, so that it can find all these things.

It also doesn't help that Windows Explorer doesn't always show you everything. Try the search function and search for something like *.doc, that will find every DOC file on the computer. You can do the same with other extensions.

Replace the power supply in the original computer and put the original hard drive back in and all will be good! Hard drives can not be swapped between computers as master drives! If you need more help PM me.

Steve

I tried using the search tool and it finds all of those type of files but only from programs loaded on it, not from any files I created. They were located in "My Documents".

Even if your current PC has the same username, it can tell that hard drive is from another PC. You may need to take ownership of your previous profile to be able to see the files/folder. Right click folder, properties, security, owner tab then make your current user the owner.