Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124/147 gr 9mm chrono results

nmrpilot

Actually i did know those items. Reloaded a lot back in the 1990's time frame. Just got back into it. The 9mm round is new to me though. I am a researchaholic. Have been using the chrono lots. One other is AA7. Lost track of the number of very experienced shooters that recommend it to drive 9 fast, especially 147's. May not be the cleanest but it is a "relatively safe" powder if your going to go beyond published data. I do appreciate the caution. Im going to keep working with the HS-6, AA7, and will probably try some Silhouette.

Edited by nmrpilot

Got my new,old, speer 10 book. One really interesting load stood out. We all know the properties of Blue Dot and AA7. AA7 is listed as a slightly slower powder than Blue Dot and is one of the best powders for heavy loads for 9mm. The book states that the maximum loads do not exceed 35,700 cup which equal to our present day +p max. They list the following load:

125 gr JSP

8.8 max load of Blue Dot.

1.100 OAL

1233 fps out of a S&W 39/ 4" barrel.

Im at 8.8 of AA7 running 1163 average out of my Sig P228. My OAL is 1.158.

My Lyman 49th list the following load:

125gr JHP

7.1 max Blue Dot

1.075 OAL

1163 fps from 4" universal receiver

32,400 cup

Interesting stuff, just thought i would share. Any luck on that load data gng?

Sorry, got off work really late and just got home from other stuff I had to do. I will post it tomorrow or Sunday. One comment about Blue Dot - I used it for years in my 9x21 and 38 SC. It is easy to get going, not too bad on recoil but it is so dirty and so much smoke (comparatively) compared to some of the more popular powders here on the forum. It's also very easy to load and work with - I just wanted something cleaner and less smoke. You know how it is, always searching for the "magic bullet"...

I do appreciate the caution. Im going to keep working with the HS-6, AA7, and will probably try some Silhouette.

Then you have some background and appreciation for what you are dealing with. That's good news! There are so many new reloaders these days.

I will offer one other word of advice. AA's load data has changed dramatically over the last several months. If you have an AA load guide that is several years old, then it is not to be trusted. The powder formulation has not changed, just the way they collect and record their data. Loads for AA No.7 have gone down by over 1 whole grain.

;)

Edited by rfwobbly