Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weapon mounted lights...

JZELEK

Should weapon mounted lights (surefire and M3's) be allowed in IDPA for night and or low light stages?

I have shot IDPA matches at Smith and Wesson's Shooting sports center where weapon mounted lights, drawn from the belt are allowed to be mounted on the firearm after the buzzer sounds.

It makes shooting dark stages alot more fun.

You can shoot, identify non threats and reload quicker because your weak hand is free.

What are your Thoughts?

Good question.

Pros

1. Many people have weapon lights, and IDPA would be a good forum to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the various offerings.

2. Some people (although I think the number to be very small) do carry with a weapon light attached, and IDPA would be a convenient place to practice the manipulations of the light.

Cons

1. Not everyone can afford a weapon light, and they offer a definite competitive advantage over a hand-held light (in most cases). Allowing them facilitates another type of equipment race.

2. I'm not certain that weapon lights are all that practical. I think (i.e. my opinion) that most weapon lights are used on 'home-defense' guns, rather than on 'carry' guns. I have an M3 light, but I carry a (more versatile) surefire light.

I think that, if weapon lights are allowed, the applicable stages should be designed such that the use of the weapon light does not offer a competitive advantage over shooters using a hand-held light. For that matter, I think that low-light stages in general should be designed such that they do not REQUIRE the use of a light or of night-sights.

At the 2000 IDPA Winter Nationals weapon mounted lights were allowed to be used on the low light stage because the gun, spare mags and the flashlight were retrieved from a table after the buzzer sounded. The course of fire was a simulation of a home invasion.

At our club matchs lights are allowed only to be mounted to the weapon after the buzzer sounds. this appears to even out the playing field when competing against the hand held lights.

My Glock 34 with M3 attached easily fits into the IDPA pistol size check box.

I think that weapon mounted lights are going to be the next big thing. It seems that every manufacturer is racing to get out a gun with a light rail on it. Even Wilsons who founded this sport now sells a 1911 with a light rail machined into the dust cover.

I only paid $99 for my M3 which is right in the middle of the pack pricewise when compared to the Surefire hand held line. I carry the M3 on my Glock 19 when I have to go out to work at night. I think these type of lights are more practical then the handhelds and a place for them sould be made in IDPA.