Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st 3 gun and first DQ!

gixxerjunky

Well I shot a partial 3 gun today. It was 5 stages and I made it to my third stage and got my first DQ :( It was a shotgun stage that started off with 2 paper targets that had to be engaged with slugs. Well here is where I screwed up. I could only hold 5 rounds in my mossy 500. So I load the magazine place on in the chamber. This stage was perfect for a 6th round and I could reload on the move. So I racked on in the chamber and but a birdshot in the magazine and forgot about the slugs. I shot the first shot(slug) fired the second shot(birdshot) on paper then the 3rd shot(slug) on paper THEN engaged the steel with a slug that was meant for the paper. Needless to say I put one hell of a dent in the popper and got my DQ for engaging steel with a slug. I was just thinking about round count and not about having to use 2 different types of ammo for a stage. I felt like a complete DA. It really took a chunk out of my pride lol. I tried to talk to the match director about getting the popper fixed because I am responsible for it getting tore up and this is the only club to shoot at. I have to say that it really is a shocker when you get a DQ. I have seen them but never really felt that feeling disappointment in myself. Well on to the next shoot lol.

Well I shot a partial 3 gun today. It was 5 stages and I made it to my third stage and got my first DQ :( It was a shotgun stage that started off with 2 paper targets that had to be engaged with slugs. Well here is where I screwed up. I could only hold 5 rounds in my mossy 500. So I load the magazine place on in the chamber. This stage was perfect for a 6th round and I could reload on the move. So I racked on in the chamber and but a birdshot in the magazine and forgot about the slugs. I shot the first shot(slug) fired the second shot(birdshot) on paper then the 3rd shot(slug) on paper THEN engaged the steel with a slug that was meant for the paper. Needless to say I put one hell of a dent in the popper and got my DQ for engaging steel with a slug. I was just thinking about round count and not about having to use 2 different types of ammo for a stage. I felt like a complete DA. It really took a chunk out of my pride lol. I tried to talk to the match director about getting the popper fixed because I am responsible for it getting tore up and this is the only club to shoot at. I have to say that it really is a shocker when you get a DQ. I have seen them but never really felt that feeling disappointment in myself. Well on to the next shoot lol.

There are 2 kinds of shooters - Those who have DQ'd, and those that will DQ.

Don't sweat it. Just take it as a learning experience and move on.

Patrick Kelley was in my squad at my first 3 gun and gave me some great advice. When you are new at this, you need to be consciously competent when running stages. I.e, you need to go slow enough to know exactly what you are doing and when. Speed comes later. We say this all the time, but you have to really embrace it. This year was the first time I have felt running stages that I was running them unconsciously-one stage at Superstition had the first 2 shots paper left and paper right from the start and after I was done I realized that I had only taken one shot at each-I knew subconsciously they were A's and that's all that was needed. As opposed to hammering them with two like all the rest of the targets, they were 3-4 yds left and right from the start box. Anyway, stick with it-you got most of the stages done. Everybody DQ's sooner or later.

DQ's will happen in some stage of your shooting career, that was bit of a shitter that you loaded your rounds wrong but all you have to do is learn from it and move on, at least you didn't get DQ'd for unsafe handling of a firearm as it was only the wrong type of round for the type of target.

Its good that you got it out of the way. Now you can move on. I think you really showed class by offering to make the damaged popper right. A lot of guys throw a fit after a DQ.