Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What else should I think about having done...

astephenson

I picked up a $100 gift certificate for APW off the prize table at the AL state IDPA match this weekend. I'm very excited, because even though I love my 9mm Trojan the finish is absolutely terrible and plan to use the gift certificate for hard chroming it. I know hard chrome is a pain to cut through once applied, so I'm going to have a new grip safety fit before it's refinished (current one is very sloppy). Is there anything else I should consider having done before getting it chromed?

It's basically stock, except for a Dawson magwell, Brown mag release, and a GI guiderod (had to add it to make weight). Would it be best to have a trigger job done before chroming, or will any of those parts be affected? Should I consider having the slide-frame fit tightened? It's not sloppy, but after about 8,000 rounds I can feel a very slight amount of play.

Thanks in advance!

just got my open gun back from chrome. the hard chrome process will make everything a little tighter; my slide/frame was so tight I couldnt get it back together when I got it back. needed a rubber mallet and some JB Bore Paste with oil to get it back together. I left my fire control stuff out when I sent in the frame/slide as I didnt want it chromed and potentially affect the nice trigger job that I had paid for by altering the hammer/sear angles. when the hammer/sear gets chromed people have complained that it affected the pull weight when they got the gun back. Might be best to have the trigger job done after chroming if the fire control stuff is going to be plated. You should check with the smith who'll be doing the trigger work first; some smiths dont advise chrome plating the fire control stuff. I would just plate the frame/slide/mag catch/grip safety/mainspring housing/guide rod. The extractor, springs and other small parts I would leave alone

sounds like this gun is being used in Single Stack so slide lightening is a non-issue. There's a small chance the gun may have to be re-fit upon getting chromed

Edited by SIG shooter