Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best powder for 147gr IDPA SSP PF.

coorsleftfield

Ive just loaded some moly 147 using solo1000 with 3.2 out of my Trogan STI and wasn't making PF. If I go to 3.4 or 3.5 it will definitely make it. This is a soft shooter. I used them on plates last night and was great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Scootertheshooter

I've been using titegroup for 124gr, but seems to be too fast a powder for 147gr, even though I did find some load data for it.

Popular options seem to be;

WSF

PowerPistol

Universal clays

Solo 1000

231/HP-38

147 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Titegroup .355" 1.100" 3.2 855 22,500 CUP 3.6 929 27,500 CUP

Thats Hodgon's data from their website.

Of the powders on the list I would use TG with that combo.

But frankly. Shooting 9mm in 124gr and 147 gr to the same PF it's just not a big deal either way. I shoot a really, really soft shooting 158gr Lead Combo in 9mm right now. Not because I want to but because that is the weight my "free" lead cast with in a 147 gr bullet mold" Even though it's super soft feeling, I actually prefer the 125gr bullet weight. I just don't want to spend $180 bucks for the cheaper of the 2 new molds I would buy. The mold I really want are $150 a piece so that would be $300. Kinda steep.

124gr bullets are a lot cheaper. So I would shoot those using TG, loaded to 132PF in your gun. Use the money you save buying 124grs to get a chrono or practice more.

Edited by 98sr20ve