Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any reason not to shoot lead?

Hey all,

I'm getting started into loading, and I'm overwhelmed by choices. I heard you could save money per round loading, but some of the FMJ and stuff I see is like 20c/round, which after primer/brass/poweder puts me right up to almost factory prices.

The only real cheap stuff I see is lead, but I hear they are harder to load, foul the barrel, and you have to keep them slow.

I'm wondering if there's any reason to not shoot lead SWC out of a 5" 1911 in minor loads for steel shoots and practice. I would do major stuff with FMJ or swagged (is that right) since it will be going faster.

thanks for the noob help!

I shot a lot of 185 gr. LSWC at bulseye pistol matches out of my SA Trophy Match and S&W 945PC. I loaded using 3.8 gr. HS-700X for ca 720 fps (very accurate and mild load out to 25 yards) and 3.8 gr. VV N-310 for ca 790 fps which was accurate at 50 yards.

The 185SWC's are great, proven bullseye bullets!

What is the big deal about lead in a Glock? I hear some say definitely not and others swear by it. I spoke to a guy at a match today that said he has been loading lead for his Glock 35 for years. He said he started off checking the barrel every 50-150 rounds for build up, but never saw any problems as the rounds and years have added up.

Does this glock lead "problem" just vary depending on the specific gun?

Most people replace the barrel in their Glocks if they want to shoot lead, but I've heard of quite a few people who shoot good quality lead bullets through their stock Glock and have no problems, given the gun is cleaned regularly.

Edited by SNSCaster2

Most people replace the barrel in their Glocks if they want to shoot lead, but I've heard of quite a few people who shoot good quality lead bullets through their stock Glock and have no problems, given the gun is cleaned regularly.

That was what I was thinking also. I have a good lead bullet manufacturer here in town and I think I will just buy a couple hundred to load and test through my gun.

boo hiss lol :D . I get my levels checked yearly and they haven't changed since my switch to lead bullets. As long as your smart enough to wash the paws off before you unwrap that PB&J or smoke a cigarette you'll be good to go.

Wash your hands before you smoke a cigarette because you are concerned about your health? :D

A couple of questions...

#1 Can I still shoot in USPSA Production division with a replacement/after market barrel?

#2 Are there any barrels that you guys would suggest?

I shoot lead out of my HK USP .45 with it's poly barrel, just make sure you clean it after each 200 rnds or so. I cast myself so my alloy varies to th soft side and no issues.

Casting your own lead is wear the most money can be saved in reloading. I cast used wheel weights, which are a good hardness for 45 ACP. I can reload 1000 round (primer, powder and lead) for $80.

I have to give my barrel a good scrub every 200 rounds.

Edited by Chuckie45