Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer sticking

i have a square deal b and the spent primers are sticking to the deprimer tip and sometimes gets pulled back up in to the case, i do this cycle nice and easy and know when it dose not drop the primer, just seeing if anyone has had the same issues with that and an easy fix

thanks

rob

I haven't had this problem, but I have read on other posts here on the forums about the very same problem happening on other presses with Dillon dies.

It seems that the end of the decapping pin can be a little to big around, and somehow grab the primers and try to pull them back into the case, as you described.

The solution is to bevel the end of the decapping pin a little. Dillon sizing dies (actually all Dillon dies) are very easy to dis-assemble. If your dies for the SDB are the same as the ones for the rest of the Dillon presses, you just unscrew the resizing die internals from the body, and you can remove the stem that has the decapping pin in it. Chuck the pin in a drill, and 'taper' the tip of the decapping pin with a little sandpaper. Reassemble it, and you should be good to go. BTW, you just use the appropriate wrenches for the die assembly/disassembly. You don't even have to take the die out of the press. When you put everything back together, you will have the same settings as before, and shouldn't have to readjust anything.

1fng was on the right track, but on the Square Deal, it is probably easiest to pull the toolhead. then you can simply unscrew the barrel shaped nut holding the decap pin in place... Follow 1fng's advice from there.

If you have any questions, ask away. There are plenty of good folks here to help. :-)