Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare parts kit

fiddler

I picked up my first AR-15 yesterday. The rifle is mostly DPMS parts. I bought it used off the classifieds at uspsa.org. I want to have a spare parts kit to bring to the range and for matches. What do I need to put in it?

Should I just get this DPMS AR-15 ULTIMATE REPAIR KIT from Brownells?

How about tools?

Thanks,

Roy

Edited by fiddler

+1 to GentlemanJim -- Have a complete spare bolt & springs.

The only parts I've seen break on AR-15 platforms are springs, extractors, and bolts (cracking and/or lugs shearing off).

If you have a DPMS carrier, make sure the carrier key is tight and properly staked. Make sure your gas block is secure, as I'm not sure if DPMS pins their gas blocks. Loose carrier keys and gas blocks can start showing erratic malfunctions that can be hard to diagnose at first... They might run with sheared bolt lugs, broken firing pins, worn springs, etc. But they definitely won't run without gas!

Why didn't you post pictures of this rifle? You know we all want to see it! ;)

-Randy

+1 to GentlemanJim -- Have a complete spare bolt & springs.

The only parts I've seen break on AR-15 platforms are springs, extractors, and bolts (cracking and/or lugs shearing off).

If you have a DPMS carrier, make sure the carrier key is tight and properly staked. Make sure your gas block is secure, as I'm not sure if DPMS pins their gas blocks. Loose carrier keys and gas blocks can start showing erratic malfunctions that can be hard to diagnose at first... They might run with sheared bolt lugs, broken firing pins, worn springs, etc. But they definitely won't run without gas!

Why didn't you post pictures of this rifle? You know we all want to see it! ;)

-Randy

I just got it. I haven't even taken it apart yet. :lol: Pics will follow.

Just so I'm clear, a spare complete bolt is the same as a BCG, ie: a bolt and a carrier, right?

Edited by fiddler

Just so I'm clear, a spare complete bolt is the same as a BCG, ie: a bolt and a carrier, right?

I was talking about just the bolt & extractor, without the carrier. I've never seen a carrier break, unless the key was loose and it sheared off the bolts holding the key to the carrier. If the key is staked properly, I would imagine the chances of this happening are approaching zero. I've never personally seen a firing pin break, but I've heard of this happening a time or two. Nothing wrong with having the entire BCG, that way you have the spare firing pin, cam pin, and retaining pin.

No bolt carrier, just the assembled bolt w/ gas rings, extractor, and ejector. And when you get the backup bolt assy, check the headspacing on it with your barrel. There shouldn’t be a problem but bad headspacing means either your ammo won’t feed (or could cause excessive pressures) or on the other end your brass will get abused and/or fail.

I keep it simple. I bought a new complete BCG that I'll slap into the first AR that has an issue. I can change out a BCG in 15 seconds without the need for light or fine manipulation which is nice for those night/cold/wet/etc matches. I can fix the old BCG when I get home.

Just my 2 cents.

Also: What tools do I need in my range bag?

Aside from the usual multitool and screwdriver do I need some kind of gizmo for clearing jams? Do I deed a stuck case extractor? How complete a cleaning kit should I bring to a match?

I've never checked headspace... this is set when the barrel extension is mounted to the barrel, so as long as the barrel was built by a good manufacturer it should be fine.

As for cleaning supplies, I carry a cleaning/clearing rod, bore snake, a nylon bristle brush and some lube. The rod is good for clearing obstructions, the snake is good for a quick swipe down the bore, the brush is to remove excess crud, and the lube is to keep things running. Of all that stuff, I've only used the lube once on the range when things got a little sluggish. Usually, my rifle is sufficiently clean and lubed to run an entire match without any attention. I always have the rod and snake because I know one day I'll nose dive my rifle into sand/mud/whatever and will need to clear things up.

I've never needed a broken shell extractor, but I only shoot new ammo. If you reload brass to the point where you might get a case head separation, then this is probably a good item to have on hand.

-Randy