Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 (older) rebuild

I just bought an older 550, it just needed a good cleaning an a few parts.

I'm just wondering if the primer slide, should have that small "Primer Track Bearing" #14015, that the current model has?

http://www.dillonhelp.com/rl550benglish/rl550b_schematic.htm

I added the "Return Bracket" 13885 so I can use the rest of my tool heads with it.

And, if anyone knows of other parts that should be changed (I know I need new toolhead pins - the old ones don't work with the new heads - Or I can just cut them down).

No, the older 550s do not have the track bearing. I am not sure how Dillon made the track bearing fit-if the press was milled deeper to accommodate the bearing or if the primer slide was made thinner, but the track bearing will not work with the 550 as is. I just rebuilt my 550 this winter, but mine had already been upgraded with the powder return bracket and the low primer warning system. If you rebuild your powder measures you will want to make sure you let Dillon know which measure you have as those have changed considerable. About all the other parts are still the same between the old and new models.

Greg... thank you... And welcome to the forum.

I was looking at Dillon's website for a schematic on the older presses couldn't find one.

Do you still use the 'original' primer slide, or one of the newer ones?

I have an original 550 that I bought new, it didn't come with a track bearing, I don't believe there would be any clearance for one as it stands now, my primer bar works fine as it is, so I'm not planning to change it. I did upgrade my powder measure and add the return bracket a long time ago.

And, if anyone knows of other parts that should be changed (I know I need new toolhead pins - the old ones don't work with the new heads - Or I can just just them down).

I'm not sure what you mean about the toolhead pins, I just bought a new caliber conversion from Brian, including a new toolhead, and I'm still using the original pins that came with the press 19 years ago.

I got a complete caliber conversion, dies, toolhead, new powder measure etc., it works fine with the original pins. I have seen some interference between the pins and powder measure when setting up a new toolhead, the cure is to rotate the powder measure slightly to the point where the pins will clear without interference. In the photo you will notice that the rod for the powder measure is canted slightly, this doesn't cause any problems at all.

The press and pins are the originals, the toolhead, dies and powder measure are all brand new.

27341823.jpg

Greg... thank you... And welcome to the forum.

I was looking at Dillon's website for a schematic on the older presses couldn't find one.

Do you still use the 'original' primer slide, or one of the newer ones?

Thanks for the welcome. I am using the original primer slides. I bought the bearing plate thinking it was thinner than it actually is, but it will not work.

I don't have a scanner but a did take a picture of the 550 schematic-hope this helps.

550.jpg

If you turn the powder measure a little bit, so the safety arm is straight, you can't get the pin out, if the new ones are shorter, that's probably why they shortened them! :D

It wasn't an issue before the safety rod was added for the B model, it didn't make any difference what direction the powder die was facing before that.