Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is HK USP 9 w/ ambi safety legal for IDPA

jester

Well, that subject line says most of it.  Is a USP 9 w/ ambi safety legal for IDPA?  I have seen threads on other forums stating that the USP Experts are too wide because of the ambi safety.  I want to find out for sure before I invest in adding the other lever to my pistol....

Huh.  That question is harder to answer than it ought to be.

The pistol can be no more than 1 5/8" in width...that's how deep the box is.  

Also, for SSP, adding or modifying safeties is not listed in the inclusive list of allowed modifications, but it is listed for ESP.  

My understanding is that if the gun is available from the factory with a certain mod, then you can put that mod on your pistol, and still be legal for whatever division you're shooting in (e.g. extended slide stop on a Glock is now legal in SSP since the G34/35 come with it standard).  So if you can get ambi safeties on guns from the factory, then you can put one on your USP, and if it will still fit in the box, then it's legal.

The published width of the USP is 1.26", so I doubt that a safety lever would add almost 3/8" to the gun, but it could, and the published width might be slide width or grip width, and not maximum overall width.

Time to bust out the ruler or calipers, I think.

Good luck,

DogmaDog

My understanding is that if the gun is available from the factory with a certain mod, then you can put that mod on your pistol, and still be legal for whatever division you're shooting in (e.g. extended slide stop on a Glock is now legal in SSP since the G34/35 come with it standard).  So if you can get ambi safeties on guns from the factory, then you can put one on your USP, and if it will still fit in the box, then it's legal.

I think that is the rule in USPSA.  Is that the same in IDPA too?  (I don't read the IDPA rules much.)

From the FAQ section of the IDPA rulebook:

"EXTENDED SAFETIES ARE PERMITTED FOR ENHANCED & CUSTOM DIVISIONS,  ARE AMBIDEXTROUS SAFETIES PERMITTED? YES, as long as the pistol will still fit in the IDPA firearms box, IDPA classifies all extended safeties under the same criteria whether single side or ambidextrous.

IF THE GLOCK MODELS 34/35 ARE PERMITTED IN SSP DIVISION WITH FACTORY INSTALLED EXTENDED SLIDE RELEASE, CAN I PUT ONE ON MY GLOCK THAT DIDN’T COME FROM THE FACTORY WITH ONE? YES, because these are now available as a Glock factory option. Extended magazine releases are not permitted."

It doesn't say anything about ambis on stock pistols in the FAQ...hmmmm.  

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Oh yeah, Flex, if you want to, now you can start a rumor that IDPA is copying rules from USPSA.    

No it is not IDPA legal.  The USP/Expert with an ambi safety measures 1.75".  Width is the same on both USP and Expert because they use the same frame.

IDPA rulebook is different than USPSA.  Basically if USPSA say yes, IDPA would say no.