Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA and USPSA transitioning

John Thompson

Quote: from DblTap on 6:36 am on June 4, 2002

I like to get some time in with my carry gun, that's why I shoot IDPA.  Ron hit the nail on the head here though! While IDPA is good in many ways, the fun of "hosing targets" has been lost due to the rediculous penalties for dropped points. I think that in a fight I'd rather have the 4.8 second El Pres with real life, armed BG's. Accuracy means nothing if while you're transitioning to target two target three is shooting you! It takes speed and accuracy. IDPA, IMHO, needs to go to about a .25 sec per point dropped rule.

You've got to be kidding, right? If not, then why have scoring areas at all. Just "hose" them as you see fit.

You said you like to get some time in with your carry gun... Have you ever had any formal training from a school such as TDI or OPS? Not to say a competition oriented class is bad, but these classes will show you documented proof that shot placement is very important.

(Edited by Southern Yankee at 11:21 pm on June 4, 2002)

Quote: from Southern Yankee on 10:14 pm on June 4, 2002
You've got to be kidding, right? If not, then why have scoring areas at all. Just "hose" them as you see fit.

You said you like to get some time in with your carry gun... Have you ever had any formal training from a school such as
or
? Not to say a competition oriented class is bad, but these classes will show you documented proof that shot placement is very important.

I'm not kidding at all. My point is that IDPA scoring is way to accuracy dependent and that while accuracy is very important, they have not placed proper importance on speed. Once again, it takes accuracy, speed and power, DVC. Due to this error in IDPA rules the stages aren't as fun to shoot or as realistic as they need to be. And, FYI, I've trained with Rangemaster and our local cops at my home range. Bottom line is, if it's training you're after, go to someone who's specialty is training. If you want to have fun, shoot IPSC.

Hey guys...lets not get into a war of IDPA vs. IPSC vs. trainging.  We don't need to do that here...there are many other forums that have fought that out (resulting in people getting pissed and nobody changing their mind).

Let not drift from the original question...which was transitioning between two types of competition.  

Thank you.  And, have a pleasent flight.