Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Ice magwell install

hueycrew

I gave it a try today. Tried to install the Ice magwell on my P1640 limited. No success. Simply could not get the mainspring housing up far enough to get the pin started. Needed almost 1/32 more.

Had the magwell loose per the directions. Nothing was binding. Had the hammer strut in the right spot. I took the magwell off of the mainspring housing and installed just the housing. No problem getting the pin started however, the magwell will not fit properly. The mainspring housing looks like its about 1/32 too short for my gun. There is a gap between the bottom of the housing and the bottom of the frame. If it fit flush I'm sure it would be perfect.

Gotta give Dawson a call tomorrow. Not everything is a drop in fit. If I have to I'll just get the smaller non ice version.

I gave it a try today. Tried to install the Ice magwell on my P1640 limited. No success. Simply could not get the mainspring housing up far enough to get the pin started. Needed almost 1/32 more.

Had the magwell loose per the directions. Nothing was binding. Had the hammer strut in the right spot. I took the magwell off of the mainspring housing and installed just the housing. No problem getting the pin started however, the magwell will not fit properly. The mainspring housing looks like its about 1/32 too short for my gun. There is a gap between the bottom of the housing and the bottom of the frame. If it fit flush I'm sure it would be perfect.

Gotta give Dawson a call tomorrow. Not everything is a drop in fit. If I have to I'll just get the smaller non ice version.

I just ordered one and was cautioned specifically, "it is NOT a drop in fit ".

Try installing the mag well on the gun WITHOUT the MSH in place. Will the pin install through the mag well and gun? Mine did not.

I enlarged the pin hole in the mag well one (numbered) drill bit at time until the pin would fit through the mag well hole and hole in the gun's frame (IIRC I went up 2 or 3 sizes). After doing this I could assemble all the parts with the MSH included.

If you go this route do all the work on the mag well with it OFF the gun. You want to make room for the pin to fit through without changing the size of the hole on the gun's frame.

179408_491025247446_229698387446_6642531_3422486_n.jpg

179408_491025242446_229698387446_6642530_3706903_n.jpg

Take the ice insert off and try to slip the magwell over the frame. Now look to see what part you have to file to make the magwell slip onto the frame. I had to file some at the rear of the magwell near the MSH to get the magwell to fit on the frame. I will try to post some pics of how is fits tonight. The inside of the magwell has to slip over the bottom of the frame for everything to line up.

Edited by Roy Hess

Roy, you were correct. Little filing in those corners and it slid on pretty easily. I installed the MSH first then the magwell. It has a couple small gaps however, it does look good. Little scary screwing in the allen bolt. Started easy and then felt like it was stripping out. Its on firmly but not over tightened.

Really appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Huey

• 2 weeks later...

I installed one on a P16 today and it took exactly four file strokes. NICE!! No grip safety issues, thankfully! I'm thrilled with it. I had to replace the plastic MSH, anyway, so this worked out great. I wish the trigger were that easy! :blink:

Edited by dugout