Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You thought you had a flinch?

After maybe.... heck not sure how many rounds, but it was after I started practicing regularly, when I came to the point where I had a dud, or slide didn't lock back. I'd have this god aweful flich looking thing happen. Someone I was shooting with once saw this, and said I had a flinch, and of course I argued because had it been a true flinch, I'd be missing the target, but was very accurate with my shots.

I thought I was some sort of shooting reject for awhile, then I read here somewhere, that it was a sign of advanced marksmanship, where you were subconciously driving the guns recoil back down. So, just thought I'd put that here since I noticed it the other day, yet agian, I felt alomst embarrassed, and even looked around to see if anyone saw it, even though I was by myself. :roflol:

There is a distinction between a flinch and timing the gun. A flinch happens before the gun fires, timing after. A flinch drives your gun off of the target during the trigger pull, timing returns the gun to the target after it's fired.

hahaha :roflol:

I have done the same thing! This past weekend I was shooting with some inexperienced friends and that happened to me on my .45. Had I not just put all my bullets in a ragged hole at 15yds freestyle, I would have had some explaining to do. They, too, were under the impression that any movement after the hammer falls is a flinch.

I'm sure the thread you're referring to is "Eliminating the 'Flinch'", but if you're talking about another one....the aforementioned is a good read!