Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Match this coming weekend

dewey

I guess it's fitting that this should be my first post. Can't decide which gun to take and it's a mixed bag.

S&W M640 5 shot, suppose I'd shoot .38SPL. I have 2 speedloaders and proper holster. This DA only gun has a 8 pound pull that I worked on some but didn't want to lighten too much. Accuracy would be the worst with this piece.

Kimber Eclispe 5 inch,have holster and 4 mags.

S&W M24, .44SPL 4 inch. Also have holster and 3 speedloaders.

S&W 625PC,Camfpur  5 1/4 inch( legal???). Have legal holster and TONS of moon clips.

I'm a revo guy as you can tell but the Kimber is easy to shoot and handle. I would like to get thru the match and BE ALLOWED to finish and understand that I'll prolly be last, which is OK.

Thanks to all in advance....Dan

Hi Dan

out of all the guns listed I would take the kimber.

a couple of things to think about and this depends on the club running the match on how strick they are.

the holster should be one of those kydex things like uncle mike's or fobus or a leather one. if you have one of those nylon ones with retention they should make you use the retention.

don't worry about coming in last just shoot to get all "0" down's and you will be surprised how well you do...

sno

• 2 weeks later...

Take whatever you're most comfortable with...if that's one of your revolvers, take that; if it's the Kimber, take that.  

The most important thing that someone told me prior to my first match, was to have fun.  IDPA is (if nothing else) alot of fun.  

My goal for my 1st match was to come in 2nd to last.  I just didn't want to be last ;)  Thankfully, I've done better than that in my first few matches. :D

The 5.25" revolver is too long for IDPA.  Local clubs might allow you to shoot it the first time and put you in an unofficial "unauthorized equipment" division or something.  

If you shoot revolver, you're likely to get no competition whatever, or maybe 1 or 2 other revo shooters, who will be very happy to have you.

A 5 shot revolver will be a handicap, as you'll only be able to engage 2 1/2 targets before reloading.  So the .44 Spl or the Kimber would work.

I would take the Kimber, but that is what I DO take when I go shoot IDPA (I'm a 1911 guy, I guess :) )

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Well, I  DID  take the Kimber and finished in the middle of a 50 person match and did  NOT  get DQed ! I'm a fair shot as I shoot 2/3 times a week and that helped for sure as my 0s far outnumbered my 1s.

Everyone was very helpful and I THINK I MAY BE HOOKED ! Thanks to all..........dewey