Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong Hand and Weak Hand...

spook

I have been thinking about this for some time now. If a stage is strong hand only, what exectly is required? Where can you put the weak hand? Can you grab the strong hand wrist for instance (Dirty Harry style? :P ), or is no contact with the shooting arm allowed? This could make a difference in my technique I think. At least it would be something worth expirimenting with.

Spook,

Under the IPSC 2004 Edition rulebook, the following should answer your question:

10.2.8 If a course of fire stipulates shooting strong or weak hand only, a competitor will not be penalized for using the other hand to disengage an external safety, to reload or to safely correct a malfunction. However, the competitor will be issued 1 procedural penalty per shot fired while:

.... 10.2.8.1 Touching the handgun with the other hand while firing shots;

.... 10.2.8.2 Using the other hand to support the handgun, wrist or shooting arm while firing shots;

.... 10.2.8.3 Using the other hand on a barricade or another prop to increase stability while firing shots.

However there's a proposal being considered to amend the above as follows:

.... 10.2.8.1 Touching the handgun with the other hand or arm while firing shots;

.... 10.2.8.2 Using the other hand or arm to support the handgun, wrist or shooting arm while firing shots;

.... 10.2.8.3 Using the other hand or arm on a barricade or another prop to increase stability while firing shots.