Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Conversations that find new shooters

bbbean

I called my insurance agent this morning to check on a coverage issue on my guns, and got the new agent in the office instead. While he was looking up my question, he asked me a few questions about what kind of shooting I do, and told me he spent all last Saturday watching season 1 of Top Shot. He was especially interested to learn that we have a couple of USPSA clubs in the area, and asked me to send him the schedule so he could come out and see a match.

This Saturday after shooting a club match I stopped at KFC for lunch and Guy and his wife came in after me. While I was eating the guy said he noticed the shirt I was wearing (Area 3 RO shirt) and wondering what type of shooting it represented? I told him it was and said that I had just gotten done. After I told him where the club was he said that he only lived about 10 miles away and didn't know there was a club near by. He said they watched Outdoor channel and had seen some programs abouse USPSA. I told him about the USPSA website and when our next match is

Great thread! This is one of my favorite things, too. Especially finding shooters who are into reloading AND shooting. Seems like everyone else I know is into plinking aluminum cans at 10yds. I would put that in the "what I hate" forum, but a shooter's a shooter and I just want to keep the sport alive by keeping people shooting! :cheers:

Awesome thread!

I've talked to a lot of people about USPSA and IDPA, and many express an interest. Few actually show up and participate. I've had a lot more luck bringing new shooters to Steel Challenge matches. I think the lack of movement and the similarity in the stages are a lot less intimidating than the typical USPSA stage.

It's also a lot safer to let someone shoot a .22 from the same spot, compared to turning them loose with a .40 and hoping they can run and gun while remembering the 180 and everything else it takes to make it through a stage without any problems.

We have to keep bringing new shooters into the sport(s).