Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Testor's Paint on front sight

kreativecid

Before going through the effort of installing a Dawson f/o front sight I will try some Testor's paint on the stock black blade. Should I apply Testor's to all of the front sight or just the top part?

From what I've read correct application of Testor's is durable and provides a very bright focal point.

It works great. I did it that way for years until fiber optics became available. I used fluorescent orange and painted the whole blade. It was still pretty dark until I figured out to put a thin coat of white on first, let it dry for a day or 2, THEN put on the orange. After shooting for a while it started getting dark again from smoke. When I tried to wipe it off, it just got worse. The smoke worked into the surface of the paint. I finally came up with putting some clear top coat finger nail polish over the orange, then it would wipe clean and be like new again in a few seconds. When you're doing 3 coats, you have to make them thin but full coverage to keep the surface relatively flat instead of curved outward. Use a razor blade or Xacto knife to trim up the top and sides.

Edited by Toolguy

I paint only the surface that you will see with the correct sight alignment, then if you are seeing any black, something is not lined up correctly.

Good suggestion by Toolguy on the use of a clearcoat.

I use yellow - provides good contrast and shows up well indoors.

Usually don't wait as long to apply multiple coats - when dry to touch, I add another.

• 1 year later...

I've done the 3-coat routine for years. . On a gun with a tall front sight such as a SuperBlackhawk I like to cover the entire face with white and then apply the (red, orange, whatever color chosen) from the top of the sight, down just enough to fill the rear sight notch when sighting, leaving just the white on the lower portion, then clear nail polish over it all. It gives an elevation reference for those "longer" shots.