Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POI change with new load?

RAZZ

So I went to the range this afternoon with a new practice load for my G34: 124 MG CMJ, 4.0 of Titegroup, Winchester primers, 1.135 OAL with a Lee FCD in the last station. It functions fine, and feels great, but at 25 yards, it prints consistently about 6" to the left of numerous different factory ammo. I ran about 200 rounds of it, as well as about 100 rounds of factory, and it was consistent and repeatable. The loaded ammo is pretty accurate and consistent, but does not shoot POA at all. What could cause this?

Edited by RAZZ

Not one of the items you used to load the ammo is the same as the factory ammuntiion. I have found just changing one of those items acan cause the firearm to place the group, in the otherwise accurate handgun, to a much different point of aim. Well 6" is quite a bit and I have not had a gun group that much out. But I am sure it has a logical solution.

First thing is try the load without he FCD, make sure that the cases are not changed greatly in dimension by the FCD. Check all the settings of the dies. I am not ahuge fan of the FCD as it can give some cases a bit of a hammering.

Take the components to someone else that loads 9mm on a different machine (ie Dillon dies) and see if the change in POI is still evident. If not then the your dies are set incorrectly.

Check OAL and adjust if necessary, try longer OAL if gun allows for it and shorter OAL with appropriate change in powder charge. Don't overcrimp.

Clean the gun as well. It's possible that new bullets you use are not uniform.

How old is the gun? I once had to adjust rear sight on my buddy's gun - it shot great out of factory but then after 200-300rds thru it started to print 6" left :surprise: , we took a look at gun's sights and... rear sight was waaaay off to the left from factory - they must've set it that way to make gun shoot str8, duh, but after it got broken-in - it started shoot ACTUALLY STR8 - so we brought rear sight where it was supposed to be - centered!

Tried it through 3 guns. My two G34s, both with probably 5K through them, and my STI Trojan. It seemed to print fine with the Trojan, i.e. where it did with any other ammo--it was just with the G43s that I had an issue with. One was clean, the other dirty. And re-measuring, the distance is more like 4.5 to 5 inches--guess I was using 'guy measuring.'

I'll try chasing the reloading idea around a bit, starting with the FCD.

Thanks.

Edited by RAZZ

On ANY of my Glocks and 2011's ,I noticed that the hotter I make a load(testing components) the hits seems to go left a little. 2-3" at the most. A local gunsmith explained that it's because of the rifling twist,the higher pressure tends to move the rear of the gun to the right, on a rest. But off hand,with a good grip should be fine.

Not sure if this would be in your case... Jus giving what I experienced.