Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to get : 1911 Officer´s barrel ?

Hannu

Planning to build 1911 Officer´s ACP. Other parts seem to be pretty easy to get, but the barrel.

Yes I know Schuemann makes them but not gonna buy that crap anymore - 2 pcs is enough for me.

.45 ACP ramped W/N or P/C and gunsmith barrel non-drop-in, any ideas ?

Best barrels definitely work for me, but recent Schuemann´s are waaaay from that... I have got 2 crappy Schuemanns within a year and do not want to waste my money anymore.

Cutting longer barrel down just does not work really good :(

I recall seeing a post about you being unhappy with the velocity and equating that to poor rifling....gain twist barrels are always going to be slower for the same powder charge....don't recall any mention of accuracy.

If there was some sort of physical irregularity with the rifling, I'm certain Mike would replace them :)

I recall seeing a post about you being unhappy with the velocity and equating that to poor rifling....gain twist barrels are always going to be slower for the same powder charge....don't recall any mention of accuracy.

If there was some sort of physical irregularity with the rifling, I'm certain Mike would replace them :)

G-man, that barrel is Open 9mm 5.4" with regular 16" twist.

There is a photo attached about .45 AET barrel I waited for 4.5 months - yes they were willing to change it, after another waiting period... I wanted to shoot that gun last summer and nobody else offered kind of barrel I wanted so I just lapped and installed it. Could not hone it even near to the point when drilling marks would have disappeared :(

That gun does not get many rounds through it, I am just suffering but not gonna make the same mistake again.

So what is the problem in real life ? There are 2 main problems : that .45 ACP barrel collects way more copper than my .223 Rem. and .204 Ruger barrels together. Other problem, I already shot out one of those barrels - bullets started to keyhole when it had 8600 rounds through it (9mm AET).

My 5.4" 16" twist 9mm barrel seems to do little netter (probably because of wider rifles), but after 8000 rounds accuracy has decreased noticeably :(

Just my 2 cents :)

Have not found Officer barrel yet :(

post-11855-084792300 1296588768_thumb.jp

You know, when a company offers to replace something, it's sort of hard to complain about it afterwards...just saying.

Something is seriously wrong if you're having accuracy and tumbling issues within 8K rounds. It's either that, or you've repeatedly done stuff like running 10 bill drills in a row, and cooked the heck out of them.

It's just sort of odd that we don't see others reporting the same problems, and you have issues with more than one. :blink:

My newest Open gun has a documented 12K rounds through an AET barrel (Supercomp). I've kept detailed logs of chronograph and accuracy testing. So far, there has been no drop in velocity or accuracy (consistent 10-shot groups bordering on 1" at 25yds, hand held/bench. My .40 SS got an AET Classic in it last year, and it's freaky/scary accurate.

I got a total stinker of a Storm Lake barrel last year (M&P)...it had gouges in it, and the company rep said it should never have made it past QC...but it did. They replaced it, but it took a couple of months...a pain, but it was better than trying the barrel with gouges in it, and winding up unhappy. It eventually got here, and works fine.

Wilson, Nowlin, KKM, and Storm Lake all offer Officer length barrels...and I'm sure others do as well. R,

Yeah I know... I just was not very happy to wait 9 months to get decent barrel - maybe decent :(

I know maybe 10-15 guys who have had same problems, keyholing or other problems with pretty low round count (less than 15k). I think even 9mm Major barrel should last at least 30k, but that is just me :) Problem seems to be, rifling gets beaten up cause it is very rough - "small caliber" expands and bullets do not get rotational speed they need.

Obviously there are lots of good quality Schuemann barrels, I had .40 AET years ago and it was super nice - that was why I wanted to get more Schuemanns. But if there is any poor quality stuff around, I am gonna get it for sure :(

Nowlin seems to make ramped 3.5" barrel... Thanks for the tip ! :)