Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G23 Mag Bulge?

Downrange58

Calipered G23 Mags

I have 3 FACTORY magazines that are hanging up in the mag well and at least one of them doesn't seem to be feeding well. I started noticing this the last match as I had one that I had to strip on a stage and a failure to feed on another stage. One mag is at least 11 years old and I am not sure of the other. They can barely be inserted in the mag well. I took a caliper to them fully loaded with identical factory ammo and below is what I found.

I can’t make any sense out of this. Not sure why the last two mags would bulge when loaded. I loaded and measured with the same factory ammo

Mag #1 10 rounds

bottom .91

Middle .933 Mag drops free but hangs up a little.

Top .915

Mag #2 10 rounds

Bottom .91

Middle .927 Mag drops free

Top .915

Mag #3 10 rounds

Bottom ..91

Middle .925 Mag drops free

Top .915

Mag #4 13 rounds

Bottom .91

Middle .91 Mag drops free

Top .915

Mag #5 13 rounds

Bottom .905

Middle .940 Hangs up when fully loaded but drops free when empty. .92 when empty

Top .924

Mag #6 13 rounds

Bottom .91

Middle .985 Hangs up when fully loaded but drops free when empty. .905 when empty

Top .97

Any thoughts..... :blink:?

Edited by Downrange58

hmmmm... intersting

At first glance of your pic.. Im curious. Is the mag on the right OEM glock? A few things look different from the left and all my Glock mags:

The "metal lining" is absent. And the notch is rounded not square. Just wondering if there are knock off magazines out there.

good luck

JT

Thanks for taking the time to answer JayTray! My G23 is Gen 3 and about 11 years old. One of the mags (not sure which one)is original. A friend of mine who knows, said that Glock has improved/evolved their mags over the years. I thought the were both factory, but maybe not. Cheers, Kent

Non-drop free mags are only partially metal lined. Idea is that when the mag is partially/fully loaded and the mag release is pushed the mag must be physically stripped out of the mag well.

Most prefer, especially in our games, to use the newer drop-free fully metal lined mags so they do not swell when loaded.

The older NDF mags are allowed to swell "by design".

Hope that helps.

Guys, thanks for the replies! The confusing part is that I have been competing with these mags for a year and they have always dropped free up until last month.... :unsure: I will take them to the next GSSF match and have them checked out.

Again, thanks!!

Guys, thanks for the replies! The confusing part is that I have been competing with these mags for a year and they have always dropped free up until last month.... :unsure: I will take them to the next GSSF match and have them checked out.

Again, thanks!!

Take a look at this thread and it will explain a lot. The early mag is the one with the rounded cutout...it's pre-1994 ban and there are folks in places like NY who will buy them from you in a heartbeat because they can't buy current standard capacity mags. Don't let somebody at a GSSF match talk you out of them.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3300334&postcount=29

Again, thanks!!

Take a look at this thread and it will explain a lot. The early mag is the one with the rounded cutout...it's pre-1994 ban and there are folks in places like NY who will buy them from you in a heartbeat because they can't buy current standard capacity mags. Don't let somebody at a GSSF match talk you out of them.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3300334&postcount=29

Thank you G-Man! Have a great weekend! Kent