Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inserting Mag automaticly racks the first round

whittlebeast

My new M&P9L did it every time as long as the mag insertion was forceful. Then one match I didn't slam the mag in forcefully enough and lost time wondering what to do next. I had become accustomed to the slide chambering a round that I forgot the basic act of slide release.

I was watching a tactical pistol video and the instructors mentioned that some weapon systems and manufacturers did that by design, meaning it's gun dependent on whether it works or not.

They mentioned 2 systems specifically (inferring there were potentially more) that were designed by the manufacture to automatically release the slide upon magazine insertion. They were the Beretta and the S&W M&P.

The key to it was how you inserted the mag. If the mag is inserted forcefully straight into the mag well (on a 90 degree angle to the barrel) the slide generally won't go forward.

If you slap the bottom of the mag at a 45 degree forward angle then the slide will automatically put a round in battery.

I threw together a quick visual but apparently I'm too new to insert the image. I "attached" it to this post so hopefully that will work if anyone is interested in downloading it.

Hope that helps.

MagAngle.bmp

I was watching a tactical pistol video and the instructors mentioned that some weapon systems and manufacturers did that by design, meaning it's gun dependent on whether it works or not.

They mentioned 2 systems specifically (inferring there were potentially more) that were designed by the manufacture to automatically release the slide upon magazine insertion. They were the Beretta and the S&W M&P.

I think I'd have to respectfully disagree on that one. I looked for the thread here on this same issue and couldn't find it, but I seem to remember it being mentioned that a couple people had actually contacted S&W about this, and were told it was most definitely not supposed to slam charge. I also remember that they were offered to return the gun and have it "fixed." The whole 45 degree thing you mentioned also sounds fishy. Not that I doubt you saw it somewhere, I'm just wondering what video and who the instructors were.

Fair enough. The video is "The Art of the Dynamic Handgun" by Magpul Dynamics. I cut out the clip I referenced.

As a side note, I just purchased a Custom CZ Shadow a few weeks back and it will "slam charge". Not sure if it's by design or just something it does, but it works with my pistol.