Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub sonic 9 mm

WCN

OK

This is my first post, so apologies in advance...

I shoot production up in the very chilly reaches of New Hampshire, competing in Morrisville, VT with the Green Mountain Practical Shooters. My son shoots IDPA in Atlanta. He mentioned that I should consider using 158 grain 9 mm sub sonic ammo to compete with. I picked up 2boxes of Fiochi rounds today. Haven't tried them yet, but I'm wondering whethervit's worth the extra cost. BTW...Shooting is fully supported in my family, but reloading (thus far) is a non starter.

Any thoughts?

Bill

I don't have any experience with that particular load, but a lot of us use 147gr bullets for 9 Minor, and they're definitely sub-sonic (like under 950fps for most folks). They're very soft shooting, which is what most people like about them. Some people think the gun feels sluggish with them...some of that is perception/taste and some is balancing springs. A local Production GM was asked if a particular load was too soft and I heard him say "there is no such thing as too soft" and then laughed. Not everyone will agree, and he may have been exaggerating a little bit, but not all that much. I'd suspect 158gr bullets in 9mm would be super soft.

You can buy good 9 Minor ammo with 147gr bullets from Atlanta Arms & Ammo...it's less than the price of most commercially available ammo, extremely high quality, and pretty darned soft shooting. R,

Edit to add: Just noticed you just joined....welcome!

Edited by G-ManBart

Welcome to the BE Forum. Did your son tell you where you could get the 158g 9mm bullets/ammo?

Actually, I picked up 2 boxes of Fiochi 158 grain 9 mil at a local range. I think my son shoots the 147 grain load.

Bill

Actually, I picked up 2 boxes of Fiochi 158 grain 9mm at a local range. I haven't had a chance to seriously try them yet. I like the idea of just getting the 147 grain from Georgia Arms. I use theru 115 grain all the time.