Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes the tallest dovetail front sight?

David Sinko

I just had a 2" barrel installed on a standard S&W 625 frame with adjustable rear sight. The gunsmith is having trouble finding a front sight that is tall enough to properly regulate the sights. Who makes the tallest dovetail ramp front sight? The original dovetail cut is small and can be modified as necessary. I'd settle for an unfinished blank if necessary.

Dave Sinko

Do you know the dimensions of the XD/Sig dovetail, if they are in fact the same? Is there such a thing as a "standard" dovetail cut, or are they all different?

Another option is to simply remove the rear sight and use the milled channel as a crude "fixed sight." In this case I would not need a tall front sight. I intend to shoot this revolver A LOT (match use too) and was initially expecting to go with adjustable sights, but I'll be using bullets in the 230 to 255 gr. weight range. Experience has taught me that I can probably get away with a single sight setting so a fixed rear might be worth considering.

Can anybody tell me if the Cylinder & Slide fixed rear sits lower than the S&W adjustable sight?

Dave Sinko

I do not have the dimensions. I found out by accident when having adjustable sights put on a Sig 226. The XD 300 high sight solved my problems.

Another way to go is check the depth of the rear sight notch. They do have different ones for different revolvers. Unfortunately, I sold off all my S&W parts with a bunch of sight blades

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter