Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZERO 9MM FMJ 124 gr load data

Quick Draw McGraw

Contacted ZERO bullet company and inquired about load data for their 124 gr 9mm FMJ bullets. They recommend the following:

Powder : HP-38 5.0 grains

COAL: 1.110/1.095

CRIMP: 0.376/0.375

I've loaded their 45ACP 230 GR fmj FOLLOWING THEIR LOAD DATA OF: HP-38 5.8 - 5.4 gr; COAL 1.265/1.245

My current load being 5.5 gn & 5.6 gn HP-38 w/ COAL 1.255 and they shoot real nice.

Just seems like their recommended 9mm load above might be a little hot. Any opinions?? Bob

Just seems like their recommended 9mm load above might be a little hot. Any opinions?? Bob

5.0gr of HP-38 is just two tenths over what Hodgdon recommends on their web page for 125gr. I don't think that 5.0gr is an excessively hot load but it will certainly produce more felt recoil than if you were using a faster powder.

If I were in your position, I would probably start loading at 4.5gr and chrono up from there.

5.0gr of HP-38 is just two tenths over what Hodgdon recommends on their web page for 125gr. I don't think that 5.0gr is an excessively hot load but it will certainly produce more felt recoil than if you were using a faster powder.

If I were in your position, I would probably start loading at 4.5gr and chrono up from there.

I was thinking 4.6 as a start point but I may even lower that and work up. Thanks Bob.

Also, you might want to double check the weight on those bullets. I bet you find they are closer to 125 than 124. The last two shipments I've received of Zero 124 FMJ, actually weigh anywhere from 124.7 to 125.2. Not a huge difference, but if you're figuring out Power Factor, it can make a decent enough difference.

FWIW, I'm loading these over either 4.3gns of Titegroup, or 4.3gns of VV320. Both are getting me an average 130-131 PF.

I'm using a CZ SP01. For the TG load, I was using 1.150. For 320, i'm using 1.140. What I did was take loads of 1.13, 1.14, 1.15 to the range, all at 4.3gns and bench rest fired at a target 15 yards away and decided on the OALs based on the accuracy. ( 15 yards becauase for me, 25 yards is too difficult to determine accuracy, and 10 yards is too close, everything was hitting the 3 inch diamter circle i was aiming at)