Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

95gr JHPs in .38SC for Steel?

G-ManBart

Hey G-Man, if it helps any...In my 9mm Open, I am running a 7lb Wolf, with the 8 and 9 lb I could not get it to eject reliably. I run 5.2gr N320, 95 gr MG, 1.102, - this is my new steel load in my shorty Cox Custom. I just ran about 500 rounds of this through it and not a hiccup at all.

Cool...thanks, that helps. With the differences between 9 and 38SC, that makes sense. I was thinking the 7lb spring was more likely to run...hopefully I'll find out this weekend! R,

Bart

Hey G-Man, if it helps any...In my 9mm Open, I am running a 7lb Wolf, with the 8 and 9 lb I could not get it to eject reliably. I run 5.2gr N320, 95 gr MG, 1.102, - this is my new steel load in my shorty Cox Custom. I just ran about 500 rounds of this through it and not a hiccup at all.

Cool...thanks, that helps. With the differences between 9 and 38SC, that makes sense. I was thinking the 7lb spring was more likely to run...hopefully I'll find out this weekend! R,

Bart

I found that just sticking with my major load and changing just the bullet seems to work best, going to fast powder like WST makes a nice weak load but it throws my timing off and I don't shoot as well. I ran 115gr with 5.0gr of WST for a while and the gun ran fine with a 10# spring in it, the dot didn't move but the timing just didn't work. My new gun with the Dawson comp won't even unlock the barrel with a minor load.

Edited by CocoBolo

I found that just sticking with my major load and changing just the bullet seems to work best, going to fast powder like WST makes a nice weak load but it throws my timing off and I don't shoot as well. I ran 115gr with 5.0gr of WST for a while and the gun ran fine with a 10# spring in it, the dot didn't move but the timing just didn't work. My new gun with the Dawson comp won't even unlock the barrel with a minor load.

Well, timing really shouldn't be an issue...no second shots (we hope) :) I've actually done this a lot in the past with no problems. When I first started out, I ran 185PF loads in the same gun as 125-35PF loads...shot Tues Night Steel with a light spring, popped the regular spring back in and shot USPSA every weekend. Besides, I'll be shooting Open .22LR half of the time in the same weekend!

Has anyone had any luck with the MG 115 HP below 1250 fps. Trying to keep it simple and just change powders when switching between steel and uspsa. I'm using 4756 for major loads and tried dropping down to 7.0 grains for a steel load. At 7 grains I was getting 1150 fps with vertical stringing of 10 inches or better. Above 1300 fps (8gr 4756) I can get 1.5 inch or better groups at 25. Tried unique and wst with similar results thinking it was the powder. Currently using 5.5 gr. WST and getting 1250 and descent groups. Wondering if it could be the bullet not obturating with lighter load.

Has anyone had any luck with the MG 115 HP below 1250 fps. Trying to keep it simple and just change powders when switching between steel and uspsa. I'm using 4756 for major loads and tried dropping down to 7.0 grains for a steel load. At 7 grains I was getting 1150 fps with vertical stringing of 10 inches or better. Above 1300 fps (8gr 4756) I can get 1.5 inch or better groups at 25. Tried unique and wst with similar results thinking it was the powder. Currently using 5.5 gr. WST and getting 1250 and descent groups. Wondering if it could be the bullet not obturating with lighter load.

I have loaded the 115's with clays and titegroup @ under 1000 fps with good groups.

Odd problem...

You may want to start a thread about that since this is really about 95gr bullets. That said, a number of folks run MG 115gr JHPs for Minor loads. If the bullet goes through the barrel, it's going to obturate. Jacketed bullets (and lead bullets) with smokeless powder don't bump up (shorten and increase in diameter) the way lead bullets do with black powder. R,

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update after the most recent test. I tried 5.0gr of N320 with MG 115gr JHPs at 1.235" just to see what would happen. They wouldn't cycle the gun, and averaged 1032fps out of my Bedell shorty at 28*F.

I also tried the 95gr MG JHPs with 6.0gr of N320 at 1.200" and they averaged 1264fps (also 28*F). It wasn't enough to cycle the slide, but they did partially extract. So, I'm going to try a 7 or 8lb spring and see what happens. It had more noise than recoil! R,

Just a follow up in case anybody is interested. I finally got around to trying the 6.0gr load with a 7lb spring in the gun today...I only loaded a mag's worth, but it cycled perfectly. Now, I'm going to load some more and see if it continues to be reliable. First thoughts are it's going to do the trick. R,