Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More realistic test of reaction time.

twikster

Stand with gun in hand, safety disengaged, facing a target, finger on the trigger, trigger half"pulled". At the timer's "beep", fire. Do a five run average, and if you can come up with a .16 second, honestly, I'll be VERY surprised. In fact, I'd have to see it for myself to believe it. Few can average under .20 second. This info comes from the real pros at evaluating it and draw time, the Western Fast Draw crowd. 40 years or so ago, they had a division of the matches that was "self start", your time started when you let go of the timer's button. Bob Munden figured out a way to cheat the timer, holding down the button as he drew the gun, so that the only thing timed was the hammer's falling. So Fast Draw went to all reaction time draws. They use both blanks and primer only wax loads, to hit a big rectangle at 5 yds. The hand start position is "hovering' just off of the gun butt. They can prove to you that this is actually faster than holding a cocked gun in hand, at your side. :-) The record, for a 5 draw average, actually hitting a target, is something like .35 second. 30 years ago, it was .50 second. they have the physical movement down under .20 second. All that's left is the reaction time, and it's extremely difficult to reduce that. Many say that it's impossible.

Edited by twikster