Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

extractor/extractor rod troubles

skorittnig

Hi guys,

I have a 625 jm- recently I broke my extractor arms trying to screw the extractor onto the extractor rod. I'm trying to replace the new extractor, but am having a heck of a time getting it to screw back onto the extractor rod. I was using a vise and leather pads, but the rod just keeps turning in the vise. I am going to get a drill chuck today, but I was wondering if it should even be this difficult? I don't remember it being quite this hard on this gun or any of my other smith's. Any ideas?

Thanks

Just goes to show, unless you really know what you're doing, you can create tons of problems dicking with extractors: broken extractors and bent/buggered extractor rods (minor problems), stripped threads (major problem), broken yoke barrels from overtightening (factory repair problem), etc., etc., etc.

There is no reason for the average shooter/hobbyist to take apart the extractor assembly. Hell, the only time I ever do it is to do a chamfer job or to replace a bent rod.

Edited by Carmoney

Just goes to show, unless you really know what you're doing, you can create tons of problems dicking with extractors: broken extractors and bent/buggered extractor rods (minor problems), stripped threads (major problem), broken yoke barrels from overtightening (factory repair problem), etc., etc., etc.

There is no reason for the average shooter/hobbyist to take apart the extractor assembly. Hell, the only time I ever do it is to do a chamfer job or to replace a bent rod.

The reason mine is disassembled was for chamfering. On a positive note- the chamfering turned out perfect :cheers:

+1 to what Merlin said, it's left handed thread.

Also, remember to put a full moon clip w/empty cases in the cylinder before you tighten the rod to support the ejector tips.

Thanks for the info.- I have done these things (as this is how I broke the previous extractor lol). It is much more difficult to tighten than it has been in the past--I'm not sure if my threads are not matching up or ?