Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun rifle weight

midget

Now that I've completely decided to stick with my AR for 3 gun, I need to ask a question. How important is it to keep the weight down? I have a pretty standard lower (some tweaks of course), but my upper is this: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-18-Stainless-Bull-Barrel-Upper-w-Smooth-Free-Float-Tube-1692 with the free float hand guard removed and a free float quad rail installed. As it stands right now, the rifle weighs well over 10lbs. The extra weight seems to be good for keeping the rifle in place while shooting distance, but is it going to ultimately hurt me?

Its really personal preference. Extra weight can make you swing past targets when you are transitioning fast, but unless you are able to notice that it is happening and it is effecting your ability to shoot, it is not something you need to worry about at this point. The more you shoot the more you will feel the need to change your configurations to suit your style. Start with what you have and go with it until you find something about it you desire the need to change.

A lot of people say that balance is more important than total weight. So if the rifle balances well for you then then the weight isn't as important. Its really whatever works for you, but with such a heavy barrel and quad rail, it will be tougher to drive the rifle between targets and stop it without swinging past. Quad rails are cool, but in this sport we dont hang much on them and they just add weight. Very common handguards are the JP handguard and any of the carbon fiber handguards. The longer 15 inch handguards are pretty popular now so you can get your hand way out forward and have a lot of control over the muzzle. From the link you posted, it doesnt show a threaded muzzle. It'd be a good idea to get it threaded and have a compensator attached. They work magic on recoil and muzzle flip. Benny Hill's Rolling Thunder Comp is a good one, but everyone has their own opinion on which is the best. You can always use yours and ask to test shoot other rifles at a match. I'm pretty sure you'll see a difference with a lighter barrel, handguard, and comp. Have fun!

-N

Thanks for the input!

I will be taking my barrel down to Neil Keller (Kustom Ballistics), once he finishes with my 1911, to have him turn and thread the barrel. The main reason I was asking is because I was thinking about having the barrel fluted at the same time...