Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Del-Ton rifle kits

ghertz

I'm looking to pick up a del-ton rifle kit and had a question on the barrel options. I'm fairly new to the AR world and still trying to understand all the parts and pieces. I have 4 barrel options and I don't know enough about the differences to know which would be best for 3-gun (local matches out to 200 yards).

20" chrome molly

20" chrome lined

20" Government Profile

20" Lightweight

Any input would be appreciated.

I'm looking to pick up a del-ton rifle kit and had a question on the barrel options. I'm fairly new to the AR world and still trying to understand all the parts and pieces. I have 4 barrel options and I don't know enough about the differences to know which would be best for 3-gun (local matches out to 200 yards).

20" chrome molly

20" chrome lined

20" Government Profile

20" Lightweight

Any input would be appreciated.

Hello Greg,

Before going with a delton barrel, take a look at white oak armory. They make a wylde chamber barrel, and they are great barrels that will last you a while, and they are reasonabley priced. Customer service, I can't say much for the owner, but everyone else there are great.

Good Luck

Since this is your first build, go with your budget. Any configuration you go with will be just fine. I've not built off of a Delton kit but have heard only good things from those who have.

20" chrome molly

20" chrome lined

The chrome lining makes cleaning a snap. Its designed to minimize barrel corrosion but some feel it also comes at a slight price when it comes to accuracy.

20" Government Profile

20" Lightweight

The following site has information on barrel profiles.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml

There is a bit more meat on the Govt Profile barrel. The extra weight may help with accuracy but may also slow you down a bit when engaging multiple targets.

Get the kit, build it and see if it fills the bill for your black rifle needs. See how it works for you and determine what changes are needed to make it "yours". Then save up for the next kit. No one owns just one AR.

I have a 20" Govt profile with chrome lined barrel that is accurate and reliable but a little heavier than what I like. Next I went to a kit (J&T) with a 16" chrome molly barrel in Govt profile. Much lighter and for me, more fun to shoot. Not as accurate in my hands as the 20" gun but I like it and therefore shoot it a bunch.

My next kit will be "light weight" with a 16" barrel.

Though I've not found it offered in kits, many of the 3-gunners seem to prefer an 18" barrel.

Lots of information on building AR's on AR15.com.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

Enjoy.

Bill

I wont disagree with the advice to check out other better barrel makers but my dad has a chrome molly Delton Barrel and it easily shoots 1'' groups at 100yds. Delton barrels are good to go from what I have seen. I would suggest getting the chrome moly over any of the others. It's a medium weight barrel and with a Free float fore arm you can get good results from it. I was told a while back that delton barrels are made by Wilson.

from what I can tell the Chrome Molly and chrome lined are heavy barrel profiles.

I'm leaning towards a government profile to save on weight and I'll be pairing it with a vented free float tube.

The lightweight would be the lightest but I've read that they heat up quick and can have problems. I have no real world experience to know if that is correct or would be a real problem in a match.

Edited by ghertz

I think this is the set up I'm going with. Del-ton has a Black Friday sale going on today and tomorrow (15% off)

20 Rifle Kit - $700 + shipping ($824 w/15% off)

Barrel:20" DTI 1X9 Goverment Profile Barrel

Standard Gas Tube

Handguards:Vented FF Tube

Standard Bolt & Carrier

Grips:A2 Grip - Black - (I've got a MIAD grip already)

Carrying Handle:None

Flash Hiders:A2 Flash Hider - (plan to get a Miculek comp)

Single Rail Gas Block

Lower Parts:Lower Parts Kit with JP Adjustable Trigger

T Handle:Standard Charging Handle with Badger Tac Latch

Uppers:Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps

Buttstocks:Magpul Commercial ACS Buttstock - Black

I still need to pick up some BUIS and an optic but this should get me started in the right direction.

Looks like a good combo. Its my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but the M4 feed ramps are only necessary if you plan on attaching the upper to a full auto (class 3) lower. If not needed, would save you $25.

The 15% discount interested me but so far I've not found information on it. Is a special discount code needed?

Thanks.

Bill

Looks like a good combo. Its my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but the M4 feed ramps are only necessary if you plan on attaching the upper to a full auto (class 3) lower. If not needed, would save you $25.

The 15% discount interested me but so far I've not found information on it. Is a special discount code needed?

Thanks.

Bill

it's a code on their facebook page.

any recommendations on a good stripped lower for the rifle kit I've listed above?

I can get a delton stripped lower locally for $129 and I've found a firebird fpx-15 for $119 + FFL fee. I could also remove the JP trigger from the rifle kit and get a jp lower w/trigger installed for $299 + FFL fee.

Edited by ghertz

I built my son a Delton M4 kit last year. Went together good with no problems. We had it at the range yesterday, and we were getting 1.5" groups out of it at 100 yds. It is barely broken in, with a little M4 barrel, a factory trigger (which I hate) a non freefloated forend etc. Just a bone stock little rifle, and we are getting 1.5"! I only paid around $600 for the whole kit, so I'm very pleased with it. I would recommend one to anyone who is doing a budget build. I plan on pulling the trigger assy out and just hitting it with a few passes of a good stone, and it should help. Not a miracle trigger, but hopefully take some of the grit out of it. I'm not complaining about the trigger-it's a budget milspec build, so it's about normal for the price. You mentioned the JP lower and trigger- That is the best deal on the planet. Most modular triggers cost 250-300 bucks, and JP will send you a lower receiver with an installed competition trigger for $299. That is the steal of the decade. To be straight up, I'm waiting for the UPS truck to deliver the one I have on the way. You can not go wrong with a JP lower and trigger. You can do a budget build with other parts, and upgrade stuff later as time and money allow.

First off, Delton does great work. I had them build the upper for my first rifle custom, and it is awesomely accurate and well put together. Mine's a 16 inch with a midlength system and freefloat tube, and the heavier chromelined barrel. I'm currently building a precision rifle lower, and have no qualms using the same upper on both lowers, at least until I can afford a dedicated precision upper. It's very accurate, and has been 100% reliable, even with "budget" ammo.

One thing you might want to think about is whether you like a heavy or light barrel with a muzzle break. The muzzle break will make the recoil and muzzle lift negligible, so you can just decide which barrel handles best for you. Some prefer a light barrel because it speeds up transitions, but others like a heavier barrel because it has less tendency to over swing targets. It depends on what you like.