Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 vs. Hornady LNL- which is better

robert-1195

... I just ordered the LNL bullet feeder ....

Where and what cost? I'm considering getting one.

Grafs.com $243.00 I spoke to them and they expect them in first week of December.

I just took a look at the Grafs website, and saw the rcbs case feeder for 299. is this a good price or standard?

I know nothing of Rcbs, in fact I didn't know they had a case feeder. I will explain why the Hornady case feeder cost more than the Dillon while I'm here. With the Dillon you just get the top part all the mechanicals come with the press, with the Hornady you get all the mechanicals and you get all the parts for every caliber including rifle with the case feeder. Not the case wheels. Now with case feeder the price for the two is break even so your smart money is on the Dillon, why, because if you ever quit loading you won't get your money back on the Hornady.

Last time I was here I was very fustrated with my XL650 I was spouting explative etc. Tonight I took two hours tore it down and found the real problem the Loading Platform, the part the shell plate rides on was lose, I guess it just worked lose over time. My small primer wheel had lots of wear and some burrs on it so I fixed that, the little arm like device the advances the shell plate had a grove in it, replaced that, cleaned everything till you could eat on it then gave it a good lube, adjusted everything and ran 200 rounds of 9 major in 6 minutes with no fu's.

I have indicated the the xl650 has a lot of adjustments and it can be finkey, well I'm not retracting that its got lots of parts and adjustments. When everything is right it rocks, when its not it sucks. The Hornady is the same just fewer adjustments and fewer parts.

One more thing Hornady LNL owners won't miss not having the XL650, the xl650 has an ejector spring, like Hornady got rid of and went to EZ eject, and it has the same behavior if its not bent just right it jams up the works. I will say it comes right and don't mess it up like I did putting the bearing kit in.

If you have a Hornady with the ejector wire you know what I'm talking about, I use to have to pull my truck out of the shop and pickup a lot of loaded rounds that had be flung under it, the EZ Eject cured that.

As Gforcelizard said, keep the primer seater clean. small bits of powder or medium can allow it to sit a bit proud and then the primer shuttle will not go all the way in. Also, I don't know if it's just my press, but my LNL likes CCI primers better than Winchester.

• 2 weeks later...