Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for moving to Open division

NJGlockGirl

Once you can draw to your index position with the dot centered in the scope every time, then dry practice that with your eyes closed during the draw.

Once you've mastered that, practice dry drawing to a centered dot, from various odd positions, like shooting around barricade or through an awkward low port, etc. Then repeat those dry draweing drills with your eyes closed.

be

bow.gif AWESOME advice!

Thank you!

Edited by NJGlockGirl

My bet is thats what she has available. The choice of .40 makes major a non-issue....If the gun will run then it sounds like she will have alot of fun.

You are correct! I normally shoot a 24, and actually like the length, I totally understand that this will have NOTHING to do with it since it will have a scope on it. However, I had the 35 as my "back up gun" sitting in the safe, and quite honestly, I really didn't have the "reasoning" to not use what I already had. Bobby didn't seem to think that I will have a problem with it (gun cycling & running), then I think I'm going to be okay. And also, for those that live in the land of NJ - we ALL know how LONG it takes to get a permit issued for a table fork! So, yes, I used exactly what I actually had in the house. I'm just upset because the new Gen-4's with the small backstrap, would have allowed me to go with a smaller grip. AND, if THAT would have been available, I would have gone with the Gen-4-G-21. I don't think the loads would have been as temperamental, as a .40 Cal load.

I use a 185 grain bullet with 4.0-4.2 grains of Solo 1000 loaded to 1.130 OAL...makes 170 PF. You have to remember that .40 short loads rise pressures real fast. (You need to load short or factory length max for rounds to fit in the Glock magazines). Be careful and work up slow. And be really sure not to overload...or you will get a case head separation or even a kaboom.

I use a 185 grain bullet with 4.0-4.2 grains of Solo 1000 loaded to 1.130 OAL...makes 170 PF. You have to remember that .40 short loads rise pressures real fast. (You need to load short or factory length max for rounds to fit in the Glock magazines). Be careful and work up slow. And be really sure not to overload...or you will get a case head separation or even a kaboom.

Thanks for the help! I know that .40's can be finicky so, we will work on the loads until they are in perfect,,,,trust me,,,my hubby REALLY doesn't want to see me (or anybody else, for that matter) get hurt. Tak your time, and pay attention to the details WILL help keep us all on the right track! cheers.gif

There have been some very good suggestions listed here so far and I would make a list of those suggestions if I were you and heed them. Not a ton more to add to this post (non reloaded ammo issues that is), but I will underscore what a few others have said. Find an offset Cmore mount to lower that optic, or get yourself an Aimpoint Micro dot optic. That is what I switched too from having a C more site and the difference is noticable with the "traditional" C more mount system.

The hardest thing I had to get used to from limited to open was the height of the optic vs an iron site. When I switched to the Aimpoint, this "problem" disappeared. I found it easier to pick the dot up when shooting weak-hand as well so it will help you in in a couple of different situations. Dry fire will help you with this. But you have to commit to dry firing alot between now and the start of the season. Otherwise, you will be hunting for the dot when the buzzer goes off.

Also, one of the other concerns will be to not focus on the dot as you do the front site. On longer shots with an iron site we have to have the front site in focus with everything else being a little fuzzy. Well, with a dot you can maintain the target focus and bring the dot into the body of the available target and press the trigger. There is no need to bring your focus back to the dot on those type of shots.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope im not too late but for $200, you can build an open gun airsoft. with its blowback you can practice tracking the dot. although it will not shake or bounce like a real open gun, it will still move. This will give you a better dry fire practice. Check the airsoft section, there is a few info there how to build one. I have been practicing with one and it has helped me tremendously.