Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to sight-in my Glock 24

Slidelock

I've got a new Glock 24 from S _ J Customs with a new KKM Match barrel and am having a devil of a time keeping it steady for load development and sight-in. have tried sandbags and gotten terrible results. I called S _ J and they said polymer pistols often don't do well from a sandbag. I've tried using the bags to steady my wrists, but I am having trigger control issues (my fault). A friend suggested resting the pistol on the mag well on a pad. I've tried it with so-so success. I will have to say, though, that resting the pistol on the mag well does seem to be very steady, but over the course of several years I have never heard of this technique. Is there anything wrong with it? BTW, I have tried over 20 different bullet/powder combinations, so, I think (but am not certain) it is my fault. I've been using moly-coated bullets, could this be an issue, and should I switch to jacketed? HELP!

Do you have trouble zeroing other pistols? I zero my pistols exactly how I will shoot them in a match. I shoot standing and shoot the groups with a similar cadence to what I would shoot a target at that distance during a match.

What distance are you trying to set your zero at? How tight are your groups at that distance currently, How tight are your groups at that distance with other pistols?

If you suspect that your ammo is not consitent try some factory ammo.

Edited by jtischauser

I don't support the gun. I just use enough sandbags to reinforce my grip. I don't let any part of the gun to touch the bench. Usually four of those "shot" size sand bags work for me.

http://www.brianenos...tml#fundamental

Scroll past halfway down and start reading at Fundamentals and Techniques. Then print it and read again...a lot. It really helps.

Jim

Edited by Jman

Do you have trouble zeroing other pistols? I zero my pistols exactly how I will shoot them in a match. I shoot standing and shoot the groups with a similar cadence to what I would shoot a target at that distance during a match.

What distance are you trying to set your zero at? How tight are your groups at that distance currently, How tight are your groups at that distance with other pistols?

If you suspect that your ammo is not consitent try some factory ammo.

I try to sight-in at 20 yards. I have no trouble shooting good groups with my 2011, which has a red dot. Yes, I do have trouble sighting-in other iron-sighted pistols. I'm sure it is my technique, and I am working hard on the correct trigger pull, follow through, etc. on the bench. I am trying to find an accurate load while working on my technique and I'd like to know if there is some kind of acceptable pistol rest (other than the Ransom) I might use just to find the most accurate load for my pistol.

Currently, I am able to shoot some 5 shot 2" groups from the bench. I can occasionally repeat this, but many times my shots from hit low left to high right and the group grows to 3.5" to 4.0". I'm assuming this is because of poor trigger technique.

Currently, I am able to shoot some 5 shot 2" groups from the bench. I can occasionally repeat this, but many times my shots from hit low left to high right and the group grows to 3.5" to 4.0". I'm assuming this is because of poor trigger technique.

2" at 20 yards? Call it a day and go shoot some matches.