Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new open build 38 super aet barrel

jawel

hi guys im in the process of building my first open gun. first of all im from the philippines so i would be using 38 super, 9mm brass is not free here.

i would like to use a schuemann ultimatch AET barrell chambered in 38 super. and i already have a beddell 7 port comp. would this kind of combo work? or do i just stick with the ultimatch barrell?

i would like to stay away from poople holes as much as possible, so both barrells dont have hybrid ports with them. do i need to cut the comp and just make it a 5 port comp to make it run flatter?

and also the powder of choice here in my place is Vitha Vouri, what kind of loads would you guys recomend for my kind of set up.

i know this are a lot of questions but i think a lot of guys can help me on this before i start the build so i wont be wasting that much time and resources

thanks a lot

joel

An Ultimatch AET with a Bedell 7-port comp will make for a good combination, but a little on the heavy side. If you had the titanium version of the comp it might balance a little better, but some folks like the extra weight....personal preference really.

I definitely prefer the AET over standard barrels, for three reasons. They tend to be more accurate, the feed ramp profile is better, so they're very smooth feeding, and the chamber fluting aids extraction. My brass shows no marks from the fluting (it's extremely shallow fluting), and the brass easily lasts 10+ loadings.

I have one gun with the Bedell 7-port (Ti version) and the softest, flattest loads I've used is a 115gr MG JHP with somewhere between 10.5 and 10.8gr of N105 (varies slightly with each different lot). R,

Edited by G-ManBart

thanks a lot guys,

those replies were fast. do i need to ream the barrell chamber or just use it as it is? if i ream it will it damage the barrell?

any loads for 3n37 or 3n38 because those are the powders here that are easy to get access to. by the way will the aet work well with moly coated heads?

so i guess im on the right track

I have a non-popple hole TruBor barrel with a 3 hole Comp. I use MG 124 JHP with 9.2gr of 3N38 for Major. 8.9gr of 3N38 will give me 166 pf, but I use the 9.2 to get that needed buffer. Major loads will use a 9lb spring.

For my light steel loads (Steel Challenge) I use a 7lb spring and one of these two loads depending on what bullets I have available:

MG 115 JHP

4.9gr VV320

MG 124 JHP

4.5gr VV 320

thanks a lot guys,

those replies were fast. do i need to ream the barrell chamber or just use it as it is? if i ream it will it damage the barrell?

any loads for 3n37 or 3n38 because those are the powders here that are easy to get access to. by the way will the aet work well with moly coated heads?

so i guess im on the right track

I'm pretty sure that you have to finish ream the chamber, but Matt would know better. 3N37 will work (around 8.0gr with a 125gr JHP) but it puts a lot of heat in the gun. 3N38 will usually shoot flatter, but may be a bit harder straight back. I tried 9.5gr with a 121gr MG IFP and 10.0gr with a 115gr JHP...both easily made Major and shot nicely. Sometimes you'll get a bit of a flash/fireball with 3N38, and it's odd at first, but after a while you just ignore it. Both powders meter extremely well. Ten charges of 10.0gr would usually be within .1gr for me (100.0, 99.9, 100.1 etc)...I almost didn't believe it at first.

I think the AET would work with moly coated bullets, but if you were to ask Mike at Schuemann, he'd probably say "why would you want to do that?" and then go on to give you reasons why you may not want to. That's pretty much what happened when a friend asked me to pose the same question to him. Some of the newere coated bullets that don't use moly (polymer of some kind?) might be entirely different. Since the rifling starts out as virtually no twist near the chamber, it's easier on "softer" bullets (non-jacketed) because they don't get abruptly twisted the instant they hit the rifling. If you can avoid it, I'd stay away from anything but jacketed, with a fully covered base, in an Open gun. R,

thank you too matt,

what kind of loads do you put on in that kind of 5 port setup with vv powders?

and to you too azyooper,

that what i was trying to follow, the trubor setup but i went the threaded comp route in case i want to change comps

Edited by jawel

thank you too matt,

what kind of loads do you put on in that king of 5 port setup with vv powders?

and to you azyooper,

that what i was trying to follow, the trubor setup but i went the threaded comp route in case i want to change comps

I believe that changing out your comp is the way to find the one that works the best for you. So that was the right choice. My TruBor came from a gunsmith that does a proprietary cut on the comp to get the performance I wanted, otherwise I too would have experimented.