Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sigt Dimensions

d_striker

The front sight is .140 wide. I replaced my sights and didn't get the right ones back so I can't measure the height for you. I did the same thing it sounds like you're trying to do when I was trying to decide what replacement sights to get. If you want I've got numbers for different front/rear sight combinations, the width of the light on each side that you'll see and the percentage that the front sight will take up in the rear notch (of course this is based on my arm length at full draw). This helped me decide on my replacement sights since there wasn't anywhere I could go to look at the sights I was looking at.

Kenrick

The most common width size of front sight for Dawson Fiber Optic is .100 which seems to be what most people like when you get the Dawson rear at the same time, though some get .110 also. I would strongly advise you to call one of the suppliers who actually INSTALL the sights and they can advise you. You want enough light around the front sight as expressed in the rear sight so you can line things up quickly. Those who get the wider front sight are generally interested in only bullseye shooting and can take as much time as they please lining up their shots. I would call Springer, Powder River, or Canyon Creek and ask one of those guys what they would recommend for the type of shooting you will do and why they recommend it. Also... EXTREMELY IMPORTANT... If you get an adjustable rear sight, you also want to make sure the front sight is tall enough so an adjustable rear has a few clicks in it before it bottoms out and still shoots to point of aim with the new front sight with REDUCED POWER AMMUNITION OR FULL POWER AMMUNITION, that is... not shooting "pumpkin on a post", but actual point of aim/point of impact with adjustment still available in the rear sight. Different ammo will shoot higher or lower depending on the velocity, and you want to keep all your options open. This will allow you to try out different ammunition choices and still have some room to maneuver the sights. It is very disappointing to receive your gun back and find you cannot dial in the sights to your preference because you did not specify a high enough front sight. I would also advise you to have the sights installed by a professional, as they are not easy to do with hand tools and doing it right the first time is cheaper in the long run.

Edited by Justsomeguy

The front sight is .140 wide. I replaced my sights and didn't get the right ones back so I can't measure the height for you. I did the same thing it sounds like you're trying to do when I was trying to decide what replacement sights to get. If you want I've got numbers for different front/rear sight combinations, the width of the light on each side that you'll see and the percentage that the front sight will take up in the rear notch (of course this is based on my arm length at full draw). This helped me decide on my replacement sights since there wasn't anywhere I could go to look at the sights I was looking at.

Kenrick

I plan on using my stock rear sight for now. What width sight did you end up getting?

I measured my stock front sight width with some calipers, and it read about .150". As far as the light bars to the sides of the front sight, I want about half the width of the front sight's worth of light to be showing on both sides.

Edited by d_striker

The most common width size of front sight for Dawson Fiber Optic is .100 which seems to be what most people like when you get the Dawson rear at the same time, though some get .110 also. I would strongly advise you to call one of the suppliers who actually INSTALL the sights and they can advise you. You want enough light around the front sight as expressed in the rear sight so you can line things up quickly. Those who get the wider front sight are generally interested in only bullseye shooting and can take as much time as they please lining up their shots. I would call Springer, Powder River, or Canyon Creek and ask one of those guys what they would recommend for the type of shooting you will do and why they recommend it. Also... EXTREMELY IMPORTANT... If you get an adjustable rear sight, you also want to make sure the front sight is tall enough so an adjustable rear has a few clicks in it before it bottoms out and still shoots to point of aim with the new front sight with REDUCED POWER AMMUNITION OR FULL POWER AMMUNITION, that is... not shooting "pumpkin on a post", but actual point of aim/point of impact with adjustment still available in the rear sight. Different ammo will shoot higher or lower depending on the velocity, and you want to keep all your options open. This will allow you to try out different ammunition choices and still have some room to maneuver the sights. It is very disappointing to receive your gun back and find you cannot dial in the sights to your preference because you did not specify a high enough front sight. I would also advise you to have the sights installed by a professional, as they are not easy to do with hand tools and doing it right the first time is cheaper in the long run.

I just pulled the trigger on the .100". Thanks

Just for your reference when you get the sight installed: Your old sight takes up approximately 81% of the rear notch and with a .100 it will take up about 58% of your factory rear sight at extension. I went with a .156 rear and .125 front, giving the same percentage and am extremely satisfied. Your front blade will only take up about 3.7" at 25 yards as opposed to my 4.6". .085 front with factory rear will give you approx. 49%