Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooter

Rich219

I saw some videos on the Steel Challenge and I'm pretty sure I would like to start doing this.

What do I need to know to get into this. I know nothing about the Steel Challenge.

Are there local steel challenge shoots or just the national shoot? Any info would be awesome.

I saw some videos on the Steel Challenge and I'm pretty sure I would like to start doing this.

What do I need to know to get into this. I know nothing about the Steel Challenge.

Are there local steel challenge shoots or just the national shoot? Any info would be awesome.

http://steelchallenge.com/

http://www.uspsa.org/

There are lots of local steel challenge matches around the country, and many USPSA clubs will include Steel Challenge (or some form of steel match) in their schedule. Go to the links above and you can find the clubs closest to you.

Equipment is pretty simple. If you own a gun, you're two thirds of the way there. You'll just need a holster and enough mags (or speedloaders, or moon clips) to shoot 5 strings of 5-10 (leaving room for a couple of misses) rounds. Your local club can fill you in on the specifics.

Steel Challenge is great and growing. USPSA purchased it a while ago and are trying to get it more available to clubs who already shoot IPSC. YouTube has tons of videos of Steel Challenge and there are tons of information. Also, check out our club webpage for some additional info... http://palmettogunclub.org/Steel/index.html

Good luck and hope you find something soon...

So to get started in Steel Challenge I'm going to want to join and start shooting USPSA then?

I'll look into the posted info.

Sorry, should have made that more clear. No, you do not have to join USPSA or SCSA (Steel Challenge Shooting Association) to shoot Steel Challenge. Only if you shoot in the WSSC do you have to join SCSA to participate. On local shoots, you just go, pay the admission fee, and then shoot. It's not like IDPA where you have to join for all matches. No, you don't have to shoot USPSA matches, they just made it a business acquisition but it is still separate from USPSA. You do get a discount if you are already a USPSA member if you join SCSA.

I am thinking there is no requirement to join the steel challenge association or USPSA down at the local level.

it is only when you go to the larger state, regional, national, or even world shoots that you need to be a member.

my club for example, shoots a bastardized/outlaw version of the steel challenge that we call "speed plates". so chances are good if there is a USPSA club in your area they might also be shooting steel plate matches of some sort.

Might help if you told us where "local" is?

Rochester, NY

Rochester, NY

Okay. sorry I can't help, I'm waaaay on the other side. :D

There are three clubs I found in NY, one in Livonia is about 25 miles from Rochester:

DUTCHESS COUNTY PISTOL ASSN – SCSA052 Contact Info Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Home: (845) 463-3844

Email: ra_stasko@thestaskogroup.com

ROCHESTER BROOKS PRACTICAL SHOOTERS – SCSA054 Contact Info Livonia, NY 14487

Home: (585) 749-0804

Work: (585) 346-5542

Email: burban@frontiernet.net

WATERVLIET PRACTICAL SHOOTERS – SCSA091 Contact Info Guilderland, NY 12303

Home: (518) 229-6216

Work: (518) 952-7868

Fax: (518) 952-7868

Email: bearsfan@nycap.rr.com