Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

William Buck

W_Buck

So first match since the class. Did alright overall, but had major meltdowns on 2 stages that cost me a lot of stage points. Points to note:

1) Grip - I have to make sure to grip the piss out of the gun with my support hand.

2) Trigger control - Had some sloppy trigger presses that caused mikes on long range shots

3) Entry/Exit - Need to stay lower on entry and exit, make sure both feet are on the ground and move at the waist

4) Reloads - getting better, ok on the move, but standing reloads need work

5) Accuracy - I'm not shooting major anymore, need to make sure to get those alphas

• 2 weeks later...

So lots of dry fire and 3 live fire sessions over the past 3 weeks. Worked on several different things, position entry/exit, shooting rhythm and standard practice drills. This past session I worked the Blake drill pretty hard. In the process I got my personal best time of 1.90 seconds with 2 C hits. Best all A run was 2.06. I also accomplished a record breaking draw of .86 @ 7yards. Most draws were averaging around .95 to 1.05 from 7 to 10 yards. I also worked wide transitions. SC Section is coming up this weekend and the stages look like there will be many sweeping transitions. I noticed that if I pull the gun in and turn I get the speed way up. I was averaging about .55 to transition from target to target at about 165 degrees. All in all a pretty solid practice session. Plan is daily dry fire with a live fire session on Thursday. Preliminary plan is to continue to work wide transitions along with some 25 yard distance shooting. I'll check in afterwards.

Planning a quick practice tonight, about 200 rounds or so. I'll be working 2 at 25, plan is to do about 25 reps of this. I need to get some distance work done since I have been neglecting it for the past little while. Also plan to work some 90 degree transitions, both easy (open targets) and hard (no shoots). I'll finish up with 4 aces. Leaving for SC tomorrow so this will probably be the last training session I'll have.

Good live fire session last night. Shot 25 reps of 2 @ 25. Average draw was around 1.3 to 1.4. Best run was a 1.7 with both A hits. Had a few faster, but the hits started going to hell. Also ran four aces about 15 times at 7 yards. Best run was 2.52 with all A zone hits. Draws were averaging around 1 second, with a few in the .9's. Average reload were in the 1.3 range. I know I can get this faster, need to do some more refining in dry fire. The main issue is trying to relax my hands when I go from gripping to reaching for the magazine. Also, I've noticed that I sometimes try to break my grip on the magazine before it is inserted in the gun enough. This causes the magazine to catch and not slide in smoothly. Last drill was 90 degree transitions, 2 targets at 90 degrees, draw shoot 2 on each. I didn't spend too much time on this only did 9 reps, but I did notice that in addition to pulling the gun in and twisting aggressively, driving towards the target seemed to help speed up the transition. Also, when I previously shot this I tried to line up facing right in between both targets, but my buddy pointed out to me yesterday that if you favor towards the draw target it helps set you up better for the draw which allows for a better shooting position overall. Best run was a 1.9x with a .52 transition. I'll be heading out for the SC Sectional today. I feel really prepared for the match, so I hope it turns out well. Hopefully I'll get some video of the match and post the link afterwards.

SC Sectional is in the books. It was an excellent match with really fun stages. I shot it very poorly. Ended up with 9 penalties on the day. Had issues with all the partial targets as well as distance shots. Dry fire and live fire practice this week will include lots of distance and partials as well as group shooting and dot drills. I was also having issues switching from sight focus to target focus and back. Maybe some accelerator drills can help with this. I need to step back from the "go fast" mentality and focus only the points. I feel that I haven't fully switched my mind out of limited mode. Match video posted below.

https://youtu.be/2sgLR6w1YFI